Jan 26, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Marv Albert called the nationally televised broadcast between the Knicks and the Celtics in Boston on Thursday, and believes there may have been some funny business going on in terms of the sound he heard from inside the arena while the game was in progress.
Albert essentially said during the telecast that he believes the Celtics were pumping in artificial crowd noise during the game. While it’s unclear if league rules specifically prohibit teams from doing that, if true, it could be viewed as an embarrassment by the home town fans.
Based on what Albert has heard, he believes Celtics management pumps in extra noise.
“It seems that way, but they say no,” Albert said after the Celtics’ 89-86 loss to the Knicks. “There’s times when it seems like there is suddenly a bump in the sound. But I really don’t want to make a big deal out of it.”
The Celtics responded to Albert’s claim with the following tweet: “Regarding comments on tonight’s (broadcast), the Celtics have never used artificial crowd noise.”
Albert is one of the most tenured broadcasters out there, and has been in every one of the NBA’s arenas. So he would be among the most qualified to determine whether or not a team was guilty of the offense.
Honestly, it wouldn’t be a surprise if the Celtics or any other team chose to do this at times. There’s a constant din played over the sound system during NBA games now, to the point where any additional noise — even some geared toward making the fans in the building sound louder and more passionate than they actually are — would be very hard to notice.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 5
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 30
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21