Jan 26, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
That, along with the championship ring he earned a season ago might mean he’s already assured himself a spot in the Basketball Hall of Fame.
Bosh believes so, anyway. And actually, the numbers are on his side.
“Hell, yeah, of course. I’ve been a Hall of Famer like four years ago,” the Miami Heat center told FOX Sports Florida after Friday’s 110-88 win over Detroit. “And I say that very serious, though. I’ve talked about it before with my friends.”
The only eligible player in history with eight or more NBA All-Star selections who is not in the Hall is eight-time pick Larry Foust, a center who averaged 13.7 points and 9.8 rebounds from 1950-62.
“He’s on the right path,” said Heat guard Dwyane Wade. “To be in a position where he has a lot of years left, he has a championship under his belt. If we can continue to get more and he can continue to be productive, no question about it.”
It’s rare to hear players still in their prime be so brash about their legacy like this, but Bosh is an intelligent guy who likely knows his place in the game.
It’s also worth noting that most players aren’t asked about their Hall of Fame chances this way, and with good reason. Checking in with the obvious choices — i.e., every active player with more than eight career All-Star appearances — wouldn’t make sense, as all of the names on that list are no-brainer selections.
Where it starts to get interesting is when you take a look at the only other active player with eight All-Star appearances, and that’s Vince Carter. Should he be feeling as confident as Bosh is about his own Hall of Fame chances?
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85