Jan 26, 2013, 12:44 AM EDT
The Celtics suffered one of their most painful losses of the season on Friday, and it’s tough to see where the team goes from here.
Boston led by 27 points in the first half in Atlanta, only to give all of it back and then some before ultimately losing 123-111 to the Hawks in double-overtime. The loss was the sixth straight for a reeling Celtics team that will be searching for answers long after the conclusion of this one.
The offense has been the problem in Boston all season long; we discussed it on the podcast, and we delved into it even further here. But on this night, it wasn’t an issue on the way to 57 first-half points.
The beginning of the second half is where it all fell apart.
Atlanta put together a 19-0 run over the first part of the third quarter to crawl back into it, and once the team felt validated that it could get this game against the struggling Celtics, it fought hard the rest of the way, and didn’t stop until victory was secured.
Once we got to overtime, no team scored at all in the final 1:34 of the extra session, and we headed to a second overtime period, where the Celtics simply ran out of gas.
The Hawks sealed it by opening the game’s sixth period with a 10-0 run, and that was that.
This would appear to be rock bottom for a Celtics team that somewhere down deep likely believes in its playoff chances. There isn’t going to be any help on the way in terms of trades this season, however, so the current group, along with veteran head coach Doc Rivers will have to figure out a way to come together to pull themselves out of the deepest hole the Celtics have found themselves sinking into in quite some time.
- Can Thunder, without Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, overcome their first identity crisis? 10
- Jazz guard Alec Burks signs contract extension worth $42 million-$45 million 9
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 10
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 2
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 9
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 46
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 5
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19