Jan 25, 2013, 7:15 PM EST
Ricky Rubio was benched during the fourth quarter of Wednesday night’s loss to the Nets, in favor of J.J. Barea, who was making things happen for the Timberwolves in a somewhat close game down the stretch.
Rubio is still on a minutes limit as he makes his way back from knee surgery, and had already played 24 that night. And, with Rick Adelman away from the team due to a personal matter, Terry Porter is the acting head coach, and may see things a little differently than Adelman would under similar circumstances.
Either way, Rubio was not pleased with the current coach’s decision, and said so to reporters afterward. That public criticism likely didn’t go over well internally, and now, a couple of days later, Rubio said he apologized.
“I apologized to him because it came out like I was saying something against him, and I never went against him,” Rubio said following a morning shootaround ahead of Friday night’s game against the Washington Wizards. “It was something against me, by myself, because I was frustrated with me because I didn’t play. It was something that didn’t have to be against him or the team.”
Rubio doesn’t have a history of causing problems, and it’s probably a good thing that his competitive fire caused him to care that much about playing what probably would have been less than four minutes, as he was up against that limit.
During Porter’s brief time as head coach in Phoenix following Mike D’Antoni’s departure, he had similar issues relating to his players, so the fact that something like this came up with him in charge while Adelman is gone probably isn’t too much of a surprise.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Cavaliers shouldn’t hit panic button, may want to locate it 0
- Carmelo Anthony sits out second half vs. Portland with sore knee 2
- LeBron, after Cavaliers lose by 23 at home to Pistons: ‘Right now we are not very good. In every aspect of the game’ 29
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 16
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 15
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 30
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 22
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 12