Jan 25, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
Ricky Rubio was benched during the fourth quarter of Wednesday night’s loss to the Nets, in favor of J.J. Barea, who was making things happen for the Timberwolves in a somewhat close game down the stretch.
Rubio is still on a minutes limit as he makes his way back from knee surgery, and had already played 24 that night. And, with Rick Adelman away from the team due to a personal matter, Terry Porter is the acting head coach, and may see things a little differently than Adelman would under similar circumstances.
Either way, Rubio was not pleased with the current coach’s decision, and said so to reporters afterward. That public criticism likely didn’t go over well internally, and now, a couple of days later, Rubio said he apologized.
“I apologized to him because it came out like I was saying something against him, and I never went against him,” Rubio said following a morning shootaround ahead of Friday night’s game against the Washington Wizards. “It was something against me, by myself, because I was frustrated with me because I didn’t play. It was something that didn’t have to be against him or the team.”
Rubio doesn’t have a history of causing problems, and it’s probably a good thing that his competitive fire caused him to care that much about playing what probably would have been less than four minutes, as he was up against that limit.
During Porter’s brief time as head coach in Phoenix following Mike D’Antoni’s departure, he had similar issues relating to his players, so the fact that something like this came up with him in charge while Adelman is gone probably isn’t too much of a surprise.
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 0
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 24
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 67
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 23
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 50