Jan 25, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
Ricky Rubio was benched during the fourth quarter of Wednesday night’s loss to the Nets, in favor of J.J. Barea, who was making things happen for the Timberwolves in a somewhat close game down the stretch.
Rubio is still on a minutes limit as he makes his way back from knee surgery, and had already played 24 that night. And, with Rick Adelman away from the team due to a personal matter, Terry Porter is the acting head coach, and may see things a little differently than Adelman would under similar circumstances.
Either way, Rubio was not pleased with the current coach’s decision, and said so to reporters afterward. That public criticism likely didn’t go over well internally, and now, a couple of days later, Rubio said he apologized.
“I apologized to him because it came out like I was saying something against him, and I never went against him,” Rubio said following a morning shootaround ahead of Friday night’s game against the Washington Wizards. “It was something against me, by myself, because I was frustrated with me because I didn’t play. It was something that didn’t have to be against him or the team.”
Rubio doesn’t have a history of causing problems, and it’s probably a good thing that his competitive fire caused him to care that much about playing what probably would have been less than four minutes, as he was up against that limit.
During Porter’s brief time as head coach in Phoenix following Mike D’Antoni’s departure, he had similar issues relating to his players, so the fact that something like this came up with him in charge while Adelman is gone probably isn’t too much of a surprise.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 12
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 41
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31