Jan 25, 2013, 9:59 AM EST
Despite GM Danny Ainge’s protestations that the Celtics wouldn’t be shaking things up at the deadline, the loss to the New York Knicks at home Thursday was a sign they may want to shake things up at the deadline.
Their biggest need is a big and help scoring some points inside (Timofey Mozgov?) but they also need to find any way to spark the offense, which has been the biggest weakness all season. They need shooters (Jason Terry isn’t getting it done, nor is Courtney Lee) and better yet they need someone who can create their own shot consistently outside Rajon Rondo and Paul Pierce.
Which brings us to this tweet from Marc Stein of ESPN:
Hearing Celts, even before season-worst 7-for-32 shooting from 15+ feet in NYK loss, have ramped up their interest in Magic's J.J. Redick—
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) January 25, 2013
Well, I have ramped up interest in six winning lottery numbers.
The problem is Boston has nothing on the roster that really interests rebuilding Orlando, which wants young prospects and picks. Well, unless you are willing to give up Jared Sullinger (and Boston has more problems along the front line, that’s not a move it can make). Sorry, but nobody wants Jeff Green with the deal you gave him (I tried to warn Celtics fans this summer he was inconsistent, they didn’t want to hear it).
The only other quality player under 25 on the roster is Avery Bradley and that deal doesn’t really work for either team.
But yes, Boston could use a shooter like Redick. And some size up front. And a Delorean with a flux capacitor to travel back in time and get younger versions of their core guys. They could use a lot of things.
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 2
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 3
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 32
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (57)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)