Jan 25, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT
Despite GM Danny Ainge’s protestations that the Celtics wouldn’t be shaking things up at the deadline, the loss to the New York Knicks at home Thursday was a sign they may want to shake things up at the deadline.
Their biggest need is a big and help scoring some points inside (Timofey Mozgov?) but they also need to find any way to spark the offense, which has been the biggest weakness all season. They need shooters (Jason Terry isn’t getting it done, nor is Courtney Lee) and better yet they need someone who can create their own shot consistently outside Rajon Rondo and Paul Pierce.
Which brings us to this tweet from Marc Stein of ESPN:
Well, I have ramped up interest in six winning lottery numbers.
The problem is Boston has nothing on the roster that really interests rebuilding Orlando, which wants young prospects and picks. Well, unless you are willing to give up Jared Sullinger (and Boston has more problems along the front line, that’s not a move it can make). Sorry, but nobody wants Jeff Green with the deal you gave him (I tried to warn Celtics fans this summer he was inconsistent, they didn’t want to hear it).
The only other quality player under 25 on the roster is Avery Bradley and that deal doesn’t really work for either team.
But yes, Boston could use a shooter like Redick. And some size up front. And a Delorean with a flux capacitor to travel back in time and get younger versions of their core guys. They could use a lot of things.
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 7
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8