Jan 25, 2013, 1:39 PM EDT
Last night the reserves for the NBA All-Star game were announced — first the fans vote in the starting five, then the coaches pick the seven reserves.
Then it didn’t take long before we were talking about who got snubbed — Stephen Curry, Paul Pierce and a host of others who were on the bubble and didn’t make the cut. Curry, in particular, seemed to get people riled up, he has been the key to the Warriors resurgence averaging 20.9 points and dishing out 6.6 assists per game.
So how about expanding the All-Star game roster? LeBron James is down with that.
People are still going to say they got snubbed. You put 15 guys on the roster and we will argue about who was No. 16. Guaranteed. I see your picks and I wonder how you could leave Serge Ibaka out of the West? Look at the NCAA Tournament, 68 teams get in and we argue about who was 69, who got snubbed and left out. It’s sports, we will always argue about it.
Also, this is going to mean a lot less minutes for guys in the game, and it’s an exhibition — we are watching to see these guys play. It’s not all about just making the team. At what point are we starting to dilute the product.
Good on LeBron for putting this out there — and good on him for picking guys perceived as rivals. It’s actually a good list.
But LeBron isn’t the only one talking about it. There is starting to be a buzz and you can bet the issue will come up again.
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 2
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 5
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 2
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 7
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 68
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 65
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14