Jan 25, 2013, 1:39 PM EDT
Last night the reserves for the NBA All-Star game were announced — first the fans vote in the starting five, then the coaches pick the seven reserves.
Then it didn’t take long before we were talking about who got snubbed — Stephen Curry, Paul Pierce and a host of others who were on the bubble and didn’t make the cut. Curry, in particular, seemed to get people riled up, he has been the key to the Warriors resurgence averaging 20.9 points and dishing out 6.6 assists per game.
So how about expanding the All-Star game roster? LeBron James is down with that.
People are still going to say they got snubbed. You put 15 guys on the roster and we will argue about who was No. 16. Guaranteed. I see your picks and I wonder how you could leave Serge Ibaka out of the West? Look at the NCAA Tournament, 68 teams get in and we argue about who was 69, who got snubbed and left out. It’s sports, we will always argue about it.
Also, this is going to mean a lot less minutes for guys in the game, and it’s an exhibition — we are watching to see these guys play. It’s not all about just making the team. At what point are we starting to dilute the product.
Good on LeBron for putting this out there — and good on him for picking guys perceived as rivals. It’s actually a good list.
But LeBron isn’t the only one talking about it. There is starting to be a buzz and you can bet the issue will come up again.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 1
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 16
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 41
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 85
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 56
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59