Jan 25, 2013, 10:58 PM EDT
Plenty of teams in the NBA offer an opportunity each home game for a fan to hit a shot from half-court to win a ridiculous prize.
Some teams, like the Lakers, offer a progressive jackpot of sorts, with the prize increasing throughout the season with each game that goes by without someone draining the improbable shot.
Others offer cars or other prizes to fans in case they get lucky and end up hitting a shot from approximately 47 feet from the basket with an arena full of fans watching.
The teams are insured in case of a miracle, so there’s no financial harm done when one of these shots ultimately goes down. The players, though, stay out of it for the most part — which makes this one all the more special.
LeBron James couldn’t contain his excitement when a fan (Michael Drysch, according to LeBronJames.com) used a hook shot to win the $75,000 prize in Miami on Friday, and ran out onto the court to tackle the winner to join him in the celebration.
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 12
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 5
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 28