Jan 25, 2013, 10:58 PM EDT
Plenty of teams in the NBA offer an opportunity each home game for a fan to hit a shot from half-court to win a ridiculous prize.
Some teams, like the Lakers, offer a progressive jackpot of sorts, with the prize increasing throughout the season with each game that goes by without someone draining the improbable shot.
Others offer cars or other prizes to fans in case they get lucky and end up hitting a shot from approximately 47 feet from the basket with an arena full of fans watching.
The teams are insured in case of a miracle, so there’s no financial harm done when one of these shots ultimately goes down. The players, though, stay out of it for the most part — which makes this one all the more special.
LeBron James couldn’t contain his excitement when a fan (Michael Drysch, according to LeBronJames.com) used a hook shot to win the $75,000 prize in Miami on Friday, and ran out onto the court to tackle the winner to join him in the celebration.
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 16
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 16
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 4
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 23
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8
- Hawks face uphill climb after DeMarre Carroll injury 10