Jan 25, 2013, 10:58 PM EST
Plenty of teams in the NBA offer an opportunity each home game for a fan to hit a shot from half-court to win a ridiculous prize.
Some teams, like the Lakers, offer a progressive jackpot of sorts, with the prize increasing throughout the season with each game that goes by without someone draining the improbable shot.
Others offer cars or other prizes to fans in case they get lucky and end up hitting a shot from approximately 47 feet from the basket with an arena full of fans watching.
The teams are insured in case of a miracle, so there’s no financial harm done when one of these shots ultimately goes down. The players, though, stay out of it for the most part — which makes this one all the more special.
LeBron James couldn’t contain his excitement when a fan (Michael Drysch, according to LeBronJames.com) used a hook shot to win the $75,000 prize in Miami on Friday, and ran out onto the court to tackle the winner to join him in the celebration.
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 7
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 30
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 10
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5