Jan 25, 2013, 10:58 PM EDT
Plenty of teams in the NBA offer an opportunity each home game for a fan to hit a shot from half-court to win a ridiculous prize.
Some teams, like the Lakers, offer a progressive jackpot of sorts, with the prize increasing throughout the season with each game that goes by without someone draining the improbable shot.
Others offer cars or other prizes to fans in case they get lucky and end up hitting a shot from approximately 47 feet from the basket with an arena full of fans watching.
The teams are insured in case of a miracle, so there’s no financial harm done when one of these shots ultimately goes down. The players, though, stay out of it for the most part — which makes this one all the more special.
LeBron James couldn’t contain his excitement when a fan (Michael Drysch, according to LeBronJames.com) used a hook shot to win the $75,000 prize in Miami on Friday, and ran out onto the court to tackle the winner to join him in the celebration.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 19
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28