Jan 25, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT
When Memphis made a three-for-one trade last week (and threw in a pick) it was a clearly salary dump move to deal with getting the team under the luxury tax line for this season.
Doing so means they can keep the core of their team together — including Rudy Gay and Zach Randolph — and see what they can do in the playoffs with a big, defensive-minded roster built for post-season basketball.
Grizzlies management pretty much confirmed that. Here is the tweet from Ronald Tillery of the Memphis Commercial Appeal.
Memphis would need a lot of things to go right for them to make a really deep playoff run, but they are going to give it a shot. This is a pretty good roster, it’s just that the West is deep with really good teams.
Then we can get to this summer, when Gay will be back up on the trade block as the Grizzlies look to get under the tax line for next season.
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 9
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7