Jan 25, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT
When Memphis made a three-for-one trade last week (and threw in a pick) it was a clearly salary dump move to deal with getting the team under the luxury tax line for this season.
Doing so means they can keep the core of their team together — including Rudy Gay and Zach Randolph — and see what they can do in the playoffs with a big, defensive-minded roster built for post-season basketball.
Grizzlies management pretty much confirmed that. Here is the tweet from Ronald Tillery of the Memphis Commercial Appeal.
Memphis would need a lot of things to go right for them to make a really deep playoff run, but they are going to give it a shot. This is a pretty good roster, it’s just that the West is deep with really good teams.
Then we can get to this summer, when Gay will be back up on the trade block as the Grizzlies look to get under the tax line for next season.
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 18
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 2
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 82
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 23
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0