Jan 25, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT
When Memphis made a three-for-one trade last week (and threw in a pick) it was a clearly salary dump move to deal with getting the team under the luxury tax line for this season.
Doing so means they can keep the core of their team together — including Rudy Gay and Zach Randolph — and see what they can do in the playoffs with a big, defensive-minded roster built for post-season basketball.
Grizzlies management pretty much confirmed that. Here is the tweet from Ronald Tillery of the Memphis Commercial Appeal.
Memphis would need a lot of things to go right for them to make a really deep playoff run, but they are going to give it a shot. This is a pretty good roster, it’s just that the West is deep with really good teams.
Then we can get to this summer, when Gay will be back up on the trade block as the Grizzlies look to get under the tax line for next season.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 28
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18