Jan 25, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT
When Memphis made a three-for-one trade last week (and threw in a pick) it was a clearly salary dump move to deal with getting the team under the luxury tax line for this season.
Doing so means they can keep the core of their team together — including Rudy Gay and Zach Randolph — and see what they can do in the playoffs with a big, defensive-minded roster built for post-season basketball.
Grizzlies management pretty much confirmed that. Here is the tweet from Ronald Tillery of the Memphis Commercial Appeal.
Memphis would need a lot of things to go right for them to make a really deep playoff run, but they are going to give it a shot. This is a pretty good roster, it’s just that the West is deep with really good teams.
Then we can get to this summer, when Gay will be back up on the trade block as the Grizzlies look to get under the tax line for next season.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10