Jan 25, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT
When Memphis made a three-for-one trade last week (and threw in a pick) it was a clearly salary dump move to deal with getting the team under the luxury tax line for this season.
Doing so means they can keep the core of their team together — including Rudy Gay and Zach Randolph — and see what they can do in the playoffs with a big, defensive-minded roster built for post-season basketball.
Grizzlies management pretty much confirmed that. Here is the tweet from Ronald Tillery of the Memphis Commercial Appeal.
Memphis would need a lot of things to go right for them to make a really deep playoff run, but they are going to give it a shot. This is a pretty good roster, it’s just that the West is deep with really good teams.
Then we can get to this summer, when Gay will be back up on the trade block as the Grizzlies look to get under the tax line for next season.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 4
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 25
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 22
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 28
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10