Jan 25, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT
The Dallas Mavericks — an organization with about the most player-friendly reputation there is in the Association — had Delonte West on their team last season and in camp this past fall. They suspended him twice in camp and eventually let him walk.
West is now in the D-League, playing for the Texas Legends, the Mavericks affiliate. So, is he coming back to Dallas?
“Not gonna happen,” Mark Cuban said, cutting off any speculation that the Mavs might welcome back West. “That doesn’t mean we don’t like Delonte, care about him as a person, want to help him get back on track….
“It’s not worth talking about at this point in time,” Cuban said. “It is what it is.”
When Dallas let West go no team picked him up — despite the fact he is 29 years old and averaged 9.6 points a game last season, giving the Mavs solid play off the bench. That speaks to the disruption he can cause and teams’ concerns about him being a poor influence on younger players.
Hopefully West can change that perception with a stint in the D-League.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 12
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 9
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 100
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (100)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'