Jan 25, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT
The Dallas Mavericks — an organization with about the most player-friendly reputation there is in the Association — had Delonte West on their team last season and in camp this past fall. They suspended him twice in camp and eventually let him walk.
West is now in the D-League, playing for the Texas Legends, the Mavericks affiliate. So, is he coming back to Dallas?
“Not gonna happen,” Mark Cuban said, cutting off any speculation that the Mavs might welcome back West. “That doesn’t mean we don’t like Delonte, care about him as a person, want to help him get back on track….
“It’s not worth talking about at this point in time,” Cuban said. “It is what it is.”
When Dallas let West go no team picked him up — despite the fact he is 29 years old and averaged 9.6 points a game last season, giving the Mavs solid play off the bench. That speaks to the disruption he can cause and teams’ concerns about him being a poor influence on younger players.
Hopefully West can change that perception with a stint in the D-League.
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (66)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'