Jan 25, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
Dunks don’t equal wins — the Phoenix Suns moved to 2-0 under Lindsey Hunter with one of their best games of the year beating the Clippers Thursday night on national television.
But the Blake Griffin aerial show was in full effect in Phoenix. Personally, the second one of those is the only classic Griffin power dunk, but the other two are not bad. Griffin was relatively quiet in the game — 12 points of 5-of-9 shooting.
And now for my usual disclaimer: If you’re going to say “but three of his five makes were just dunks” I’m going to say “so what?” Last time I checked dunks count and are the most efficient shot in the game. Griffin has a good post game now, he’s working on the midrange which has improved, and he’s only in his third NBA season at age 23. I don’t expect him to be Pau Gasol with an arsenal of moves — play to your strengths, and if your strengths are you are one of the most athletic big men in the game then throw down some monster dunks and get your points that way. If you can get six to 10 points a night on dunks, there isn’t a coach in the league that will not take it.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 12
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 41
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31