Jan 25, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
Dunks don’t equal wins — the Phoenix Suns moved to 2-0 under Lindsey Hunter with one of their best games of the year beating the Clippers Thursday night on national television.
But the Blake Griffin aerial show was in full effect in Phoenix. Personally, the second one of those is the only classic Griffin power dunk, but the other two are not bad. Griffin was relatively quiet in the game — 12 points of 5-of-9 shooting.
And now for my usual disclaimer: If you’re going to say “but three of his five makes were just dunks” I’m going to say “so what?” Last time I checked dunks count and are the most efficient shot in the game. Griffin has a good post game now, he’s working on the midrange which has improved, and he’s only in his third NBA season at age 23. I don’t expect him to be Pau Gasol with an arsenal of moves — play to your strengths, and if your strengths are you are one of the most athletic big men in the game then throw down some monster dunks and get your points that way. If you can get six to 10 points a night on dunks, there isn’t a coach in the league that will not take it.
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 54
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 35
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights