Jan 25, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
Dunks don’t equal wins — the Phoenix Suns moved to 2-0 under Lindsey Hunter with one of their best games of the year beating the Clippers Thursday night on national television.
But the Blake Griffin aerial show was in full effect in Phoenix. Personally, the second one of those is the only classic Griffin power dunk, but the other two are not bad. Griffin was relatively quiet in the game — 12 points of 5-of-9 shooting.
And now for my usual disclaimer: If you’re going to say “but three of his five makes were just dunks” I’m going to say “so what?” Last time I checked dunks count and are the most efficient shot in the game. Griffin has a good post game now, he’s working on the midrange which has improved, and he’s only in his third NBA season at age 23. I don’t expect him to be Pau Gasol with an arsenal of moves — play to your strengths, and if your strengths are you are one of the most athletic big men in the game then throw down some monster dunks and get your points that way. If you can get six to 10 points a night on dunks, there isn’t a coach in the league that will not take it.
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 27
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 31
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 9
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6