Jan 25, 2013, 10:39 AM EDT
This really isn’t new — Timofey Mozgov himself said he expected to be traded by the deadline.
But to echo that comes a report from the Denver Post that a deal is likely to get done for the solid big man buried on the Nuggets depth chart.
Since the beginning of the year, calls from other NBA teams have come rolling in concerning a trade for Mozgov more than for any other player on the Denver roster, and for two reasons.
First, he’s a serviceable center…. Second, Mozgov has an expiring contract, and that is gold in the NBA. He will be a restricted free agent at the end of the season, which is even better for a team that covets him because that team would have the option to match any offer sheet extended to him.
Mozgov has always been solid if not spectacular in the paint — he shoots 49 percent and is a good finisher as the roll man (he did that a lot for Russia in the Olympics), he’s a good rebounder, and he is a big body in the paint who can defend other big bodies in the paint. But if you play small and pull him away from the basket as a defender he can be exposed.
There are a lot of teams who could use him. The Post story mentions the Miami Heat but the list of teams that could use a quality big man is long. Denver will have options.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 20
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10