Jan 25, 2013, 10:39 AM EDT
This really isn’t new — Timofey Mozgov himself said he expected to be traded by the deadline.
But to echo that comes a report from the Denver Post that a deal is likely to get done for the solid big man buried on the Nuggets depth chart.
Since the beginning of the year, calls from other NBA teams have come rolling in concerning a trade for Mozgov more than for any other player on the Denver roster, and for two reasons.
First, he’s a serviceable center…. Second, Mozgov has an expiring contract, and that is gold in the NBA. He will be a restricted free agent at the end of the season, which is even better for a team that covets him because that team would have the option to match any offer sheet extended to him.
Mozgov has always been solid if not spectacular in the paint — he shoots 49 percent and is a good finisher as the roll man (he did that a lot for Russia in the Olympics), he’s a good rebounder, and he is a big body in the paint who can defend other big bodies in the paint. But if you play small and pull him away from the basket as a defender he can be exposed.
There are a lot of teams who could use him. The Post story mentions the Miami Heat but the list of teams that could use a quality big man is long. Denver will have options.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 5
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 23
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 66
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 8
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36