Jan 24, 2013, 4:58 PM EDT
Yes, this is key Spurs missing a nationally televised game, but this time the league office probably sees it as legit. Both were out for the Spurs Wednesday night win over the Hornets.
Duncan is resting a sore knee, Popovich has been ill (not seriously). Duncan is listed as day-to-day. With Pops out, lead assistant Mike Budenholzer steps into the big chair. But he will not be nearly as much fun in sideline reporter interviews.
Kawhi Leonard (knee) also was out the last game for San Antonio and is questionable for Friday.
The Spurs play Saturday against the Suns back in San Antonio, then they are off until the following Wednesday when the Bobcats come to town.
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 8
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 18
- FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold 4
- France beats Lithuania to win World Cup bronze 6
- Carmelo Anthony says nobody would want to play for Hawks 20
- Rudy Gay upset over ‘dirty play’ that caused him to suffer a fractured jaw in Team USA’s win over Lithuania 17
- Serbia holds off furious French comeback, wins to advance to gold medal game vs. USA 4
- Hawks GM Danny Ferry releases statement on his leave of absence, apologizes again 6