Jan 24, 2013, 4:58 PM EDT
Yes, this is key Spurs missing a nationally televised game, but this time the league office probably sees it as legit. Both were out for the Spurs Wednesday night win over the Hornets.
Duncan is resting a sore knee, Popovich has been ill (not seriously). Duncan is listed as day-to-day. With Pops out, lead assistant Mike Budenholzer steps into the big chair. But he will not be nearly as much fun in sideline reporter interviews.
Kawhi Leonard (knee) also was out the last game for San Antonio and is questionable for Friday.
The Spurs play Saturday against the Suns back in San Antonio, then they are off until the following Wednesday when the Bobcats come to town.
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 0
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 3
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 11
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23