Jan 24, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT
Keep your head about you, Carmelo Anthony.
Because you know that when the Boston Celtics host the New York Knicks on Thursday night Kevin Garnett is going to be running his mouth constantly. Like he always does. And he is going to pick at whatever wound he opened in the last meeting — the thing he said that had you waiting by the team bus to “talk” to him, a move that got you suspended.
And if he doesn’t say it, you can bet the Celtics fans near the court will. Loudly.
Carmelo said that he and KG talked on the phone and it’s all good between them now. Believe that if you want, I’m not sure it goes away that easy.
Boston is going to come out desperate Thursday because they need a win — they have lost four in a row and are 20-21 on the season. By all rights they should be looking up at a playoff spot, not be the 8 seed, but fortunately for them the bottom of the Eastern Conference is atrocious. Still, the 8 seed means Miami in the first round and nobody wants that.
The Knicks could use a win, too. They are 4-6 in their last 10 and suddenly the hot Nets (10-1 in their last 11), Bulls and Pacers are all within one game of knocking the Knicks out of the two spot in the East. The Knicks clearly are not the same without Raymond Felton running the offense and getting people involved via the pick-and-roll. One end of the floor seems to be off every game, the Knicks need a night of good defense and offense together for a change.
The game matters, it’s a big division rivalry.
But what we really want to watch is Kevin Garnett getting in the ear of Carmelo Anthony again.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 1
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 12
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 14
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 14
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 46