Jan 24, 2013, 1:03 PM EST
Keep your head about you, Carmelo Anthony.
Because you know that when the Boston Celtics host the New York Knicks on Thursday night Kevin Garnett is going to be running his mouth constantly. Like he always does. And he is going to pick at whatever wound he opened in the last meeting — the thing he said that had you waiting by the team bus to “talk” to him, a move that got you suspended.
And if he doesn’t say it, you can bet the Celtics fans near the court will. Loudly.
Carmelo said that he and KG talked on the phone and it’s all good between them now. Believe that if you want, I’m not sure it goes away that easy.
Boston is going to come out desperate Thursday because they need a win — they have lost four in a row and are 20-21 on the season. By all rights they should be looking up at a playoff spot, not be the 8 seed, but fortunately for them the bottom of the Eastern Conference is atrocious. Still, the 8 seed means Miami in the first round and nobody wants that.
The Knicks could use a win, too. They are 4-6 in their last 10 and suddenly the hot Nets (10-1 in their last 11), Bulls and Pacers are all within one game of knocking the Knicks out of the two spot in the East. The Knicks clearly are not the same without Raymond Felton running the offense and getting people involved via the pick-and-roll. One end of the floor seems to be off every game, the Knicks need a night of good defense and offense together for a change.
The game matters, it’s a big division rivalry.
But what we really want to watch is Kevin Garnett getting in the ear of Carmelo Anthony again.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)