Jan 24, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT
Keep your head about you, Carmelo Anthony.
Because you know that when the Boston Celtics host the New York Knicks on Thursday night Kevin Garnett is going to be running his mouth constantly. Like he always does. And he is going to pick at whatever wound he opened in the last meeting — the thing he said that had you waiting by the team bus to “talk” to him, a move that got you suspended.
And if he doesn’t say it, you can bet the Celtics fans near the court will. Loudly.
Carmelo said that he and KG talked on the phone and it’s all good between them now. Believe that if you want, I’m not sure it goes away that easy.
Boston is going to come out desperate Thursday because they need a win — they have lost four in a row and are 20-21 on the season. By all rights they should be looking up at a playoff spot, not be the 8 seed, but fortunately for them the bottom of the Eastern Conference is atrocious. Still, the 8 seed means Miami in the first round and nobody wants that.
The Knicks could use a win, too. They are 4-6 in their last 10 and suddenly the hot Nets (10-1 in their last 11), Bulls and Pacers are all within one game of knocking the Knicks out of the two spot in the East. The Knicks clearly are not the same without Raymond Felton running the offense and getting people involved via the pick-and-roll. One end of the floor seems to be off every game, the Knicks need a night of good defense and offense together for a change.
The game matters, it’s a big division rivalry.
But what we really want to watch is Kevin Garnett getting in the ear of Carmelo Anthony again.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 19
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28