Jan 24, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
A number of the NBA’s elite stars have personal security guards — Kobe Bryant is the most noted but a number of them do.
Carmelo Anthony does, and heading to Boston and a rematch with Kevin Garnett — they didn’t exactly get along well on the court the last time they faced off back on Jan. 7 — Anthony and the Knicks have beefed up security, reports the New York Daily News.
But it’s not for KG, it’s because of concerns about the Boston fans.
Celtics fans are some of the most passionate and sometimes crude fans in the league. Throw in the fact that Anthony has the words “New York” stitched on his uniform as well as the controversy of Jan. 7 and you have the ingredients for overzealous crowd….
“That’s basically what we’re going to get,” Raymond Felton said. “We know it’s going to be hostile. There’s going to be a lot of crazy things thrown at us…not objects but words.”
The trick for Anthony is not to let the words get under his skin this time.
There will be extra security for everything else
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 36
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 44
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 57
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7