Jan 24, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
C.J. Watson received a warning under the NBA’s anti-flopping policy for a play that occurred Wednesday night in the Nets’ win over the Timberwolves, the league announced on Thursday.
While the flop itself was egregious and certainly deserving of punishment, the fact that it came against J.J. Barea — along with Watson’s comments about it afterward — were likely the reason the league responded so swiftly.
Barea is on the league’s radar for his reputation as a flopper, and has already been fined for twice feigning contact on defensive plays this season. Watson addressed the play after the game, and essentially said that it was nice to see Barea on the wrong end of one of those calls for a change.
“He’s a flopping guy, so I tried to give him a little dose of his own medicine,” Watson said in a postgame interview. “It worked tonight. Hopefully I don’t get fined, though.”
No fine, but those remarks undoubtedly helped Watson get the official warning. As long as he stays clean (and quiet) the rest of the season, he won’t lose any money over it — the fines begin with the second offense, and increase for every offense thereafter.
- Eastern Conference Finals preview: Pacers vs. Heat 1
- Clippers let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 18
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 12
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 10
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 8
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'