Jan 24, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
C.J. Watson received a warning under the NBA’s anti-flopping policy for a play that occurred Wednesday night in the Nets’ win over the Timberwolves, the league announced on Thursday.
While the flop itself was egregious and certainly deserving of punishment, the fact that it came against J.J. Barea — along with Watson’s comments about it afterward — were likely the reason the league responded so swiftly.
Barea is on the league’s radar for his reputation as a flopper, and has already been fined for twice feigning contact on defensive plays this season. Watson addressed the play after the game, and essentially said that it was nice to see Barea on the wrong end of one of those calls for a change.
“He’s a flopping guy, so I tried to give him a little dose of his own medicine,” Watson said in a postgame interview. “It worked tonight. Hopefully I don’t get fined, though.”
No fine, but those remarks undoubtedly helped Watson get the official warning. As long as he stays clean (and quiet) the rest of the season, he won’t lose any money over it — the fines begin with the second offense, and increase for every offense thereafter.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 9
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 7
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 27
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 20
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 5
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games