Ray Allen says he might retire after season. Sure he will.

Jan 23, 2013, 2:22 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Miami Heat Getty Images

Ray Allen has been in the league long enough, he has been interviewed more times than he can remember, he gets how to play that game — don’t ever paint yourself into a corner. Always allow for options.

Keep that in mind as you read this from Ray Allen, the former Buck and current Heat sharpshooter, speaking with the Racine Journal Times.

So Ray, might you retire after this season?

“It’s possible, yeah,” Allen said. “Who knows what’s going to happen over the course of the summer? I have two years left on my contract. We’ll see how it goes.”

Here is a broader answer.

“I don’t know when I’ll retire,” said Allen, who began his pro career in Milwaukee in 1996 and spent six-plus productive seasons with the Bucks before being dealt to Seattle. “I’d like to get through the year first. I feel great; my body feels good. I just got to get through.

“I’m at a point where I’ve been pretty successful and I’ve gotten to the point where I really understand the game and how to play it. But I’m not going to be that guy who just hangs on. At some point, I can let it go.”

Sounds like Allen is taking it year by year. His minutes are down this year so far (25.5 per game) and with that he is scoring 11.2 points per game and is shooting 43.2 percent from three. He is still dangerous from the corner in particular. He has a player option for $3.2 million for next season.

My guess is he plays out this contract then retires as arguably the greatest three-point shooter the game has ever seen. But always leave yourself options. Which is what Allen did.

Latest Posts
  1. James Harden says he considered himself a role player during days with OKC

Jul 26, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Harden seems to backtrack a bit on comments Chandler Parsons took offense to.

2. Carmelo Anthony on his free agent decision: ‘It was pretty much always Chicago or New York’

Jul 25, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v New York Knicks Getty Images

Anthony reportedly strongly considered the Lakers too, but he says that wasn’t really the case.

3. Report: Kevin Johnson no longer part of search for new head of players’ union, vote expected Monday

Jul 25, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

Kevin Johnson

The union for the players continues to struggle to get some competent leadership in place.

4. Joakim Noah is happy for LeBron, but hopes Bulls ‘can kick his a– as many times as possible’

Jul 25, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Joakim Noah continues to be brutally honest when speaking about his team’s competition.

5. Top 10 dunks of Las Vegas Summer League (VIDEO)

Jul 25, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT

Andrew Wiggins AP

The Andrew Wiggins spin and dunk is a thing of beauty.

6. Report: Hawks sign Shelvin Mack to three-year, $7.3 million deal

Jul 25, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Milwaukee Bucks Getty Images

He is a solid backup to have while Dennis Schroder develops.

7. Report: Will Cherry drawing interest from Cavaliers, Raptors

Jul 25, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

Will Cherry was fun to watch at Las Vegas Summer League.

8. Tom Thibodeau considers Joakim Noah, Pau Gasol and Taj Gibson starters

Jul 25, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Bulls also must make room for Nikola Mirotic in frontcourt

9. Dirk Nowitzki plays baseball (VIDEO)

Jul 25, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Dirk Nowitzki Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki presents a big strike zone.

10. Report: NBA wants to avoid massive salary-cap spike

Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT

Adam Silver Adam Silver

New TV deal expected to drastically increase revenue

11. Newspaper seeks LeBron James beat reporter

Jul 25, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks vs Miami Heat - Game Two Milwaukee Bucks vs Miami Heat - Game Two

Not a Cleveland Cavaliers beat reporter. A LeBron James beat reporter.

12. Report: Bulls promised not to trade Nikola Mirotic

Jul 25, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT

Nikola Mirotic, Gar Forman Nikola Mirotic, Gar Forman

Rookie big man has been mentioned in Kevin Love trade rumors

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches