Ray Allen says he might retire after season. Sure he will.

Jan 23, 2013, 2:22 PM EST

Dallas Mavericks v Miami Heat Getty Images

Ray Allen has been in the league long enough, he has been interviewed more times than he can remember, he gets how to play that game — don’t ever paint yourself into a corner. Always allow for options.

Keep that in mind as you read this from Ray Allen, the former Buck and current Heat sharpshooter, speaking with the Racine Journal Times.

So Ray, might you retire after this season?

“It’s possible, yeah,” Allen said. “Who knows what’s going to happen over the course of the summer? I have two years left on my contract. We’ll see how it goes.”

Here is a broader answer.

“I don’t know when I’ll retire,” said Allen, who began his pro career in Milwaukee in 1996 and spent six-plus productive seasons with the Bucks before being dealt to Seattle. “I’d like to get through the year first. I feel great; my body feels good. I just got to get through.

“I’m at a point where I’ve been pretty successful and I’ve gotten to the point where I really understand the game and how to play it. But I’m not going to be that guy who just hangs on. At some point, I can let it go.”

Sounds like Allen is taking it year by year. His minutes are down this year so far (25.5 per game) and with that he is scoring 11.2 points per game and is shooting 43.2 percent from three. He is still dangerous from the corner in particular. He has a player option for $3.2 million for next season.

My guess is he plays out this contract then retires as arguably the greatest three-point shooter the game has ever seen. But always leave yourself options. Which is what Allen did.

Latest Posts
  1. Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return

Nov 22, 2014, 7:06 PM EST

San Antonio Spurs v Houston Rockets San Antonio Spurs v Houston Rockets

With him and starting power forward Terrence Jones out, the Rockets are very thin up front.

2. Brandon Jennings on reason for Pistons’ offensive woes: ‘We don’t shoot in practice’

Nov 22, 2014, 6:30 PM EST

Brandon Jennings AP

Detroit is next to last in field goal percentage on the season.

3. NBA corrects scoring error from Raptors’ win over Bucks

Nov 22, 2014, 5:00 PM EST

Milwaukee Bucks v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Toronto won by 42 points, so this only matters if you had a certain Milwaukee player on your fantasy team.

4. If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster

Nov 22, 2014, 3:30 PM EST

US-BKN-NBA-BULLS-CLIPPERS US-BKN-NBA-BULLS-CLIPPERS

Mike James or Will Bynum could be added to the roster for a short stint.

5. Eric Bledsoe on flagrant foul he took from Nerlens Noel: ‘They did it on purpose’

Nov 22, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

Phoenix Suns v Philadelphia 76ers Phoenix Suns v Philadelphia 76ers

Bledsoe says the Sixers warned him before the game that he would be targeted for his previous comments.

6. Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week

Nov 22, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook AP

Both are expected to participate in parts of Saturday’s practice.

7. Pacers coach Frank Vogel: ‘very unlikely’ that Paul George plays this year

Nov 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EST

Paul George Paul George

George is trying to get back on the court before the season is finished.

8. Eric Bledsoe takes a shot to the face on first possession against Sixers (VIDEO)

Nov 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EST

Phoenix Suns v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

Bledsoe said yesterday that Philadelphia would lose to a college team.

9. Dwight Howard has plasma therapy (Kobe therapy) on right knee

Nov 21, 2014, 9:46 PM EST

Dwight Howard Dwight Howard

He will not play against the Mavericks, at least.

10. Michele Roberts: NBA agreed to work with union before attempt to ‘prove its toughness’ with Jeff Taylor suspension

Nov 21, 2014, 7:30 PM EST

Michele Roberts, the Executive Director of National Basketball Players Association Michele Roberts, the Executive Director of National Basketball Players Association

National Basketball Players Association executive director: NBA ‘chose to bend to the pressure it feels from the current media spotlight’

11. Al Michaels tells story of how Doc Rivers was almost Lakers coach in 2004-05

Nov 21, 2014, 5:59 PM EST

Any story that includes a chance meeting and conversation with Jerry Buss outside a men’s restroom is going to be golden.

12. John Wall: Veteran teammates used to think ‘I was a joke’

Nov 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EST

Washington Wizards v Portland Trail Blazers Washington Wizards v Portland Trail Blazers

Former No. 1 pick knows he fought perception due to Wizards’ struggles

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches