Ray Allen says he might retire after season. Sure he will.

Jan 23, 2013, 2:22 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Miami Heat Getty Images

Ray Allen has been in the league long enough, he has been interviewed more times than he can remember, he gets how to play that game — don’t ever paint yourself into a corner. Always allow for options.

Keep that in mind as you read this from Ray Allen, the former Buck and current Heat sharpshooter, speaking with the Racine Journal Times.

So Ray, might you retire after this season?

“It’s possible, yeah,” Allen said. “Who knows what’s going to happen over the course of the summer? I have two years left on my contract. We’ll see how it goes.”

Here is a broader answer.

“I don’t know when I’ll retire,” said Allen, who began his pro career in Milwaukee in 1996 and spent six-plus productive seasons with the Bucks before being dealt to Seattle. “I’d like to get through the year first. I feel great; my body feels good. I just got to get through.

“I’m at a point where I’ve been pretty successful and I’ve gotten to the point where I really understand the game and how to play it. But I’m not going to be that guy who just hangs on. At some point, I can let it go.”

Sounds like Allen is taking it year by year. His minutes are down this year so far (25.5 per game) and with that he is scoring 11.2 points per game and is shooting 43.2 percent from three. He is still dangerous from the corner in particular. He has a player option for $3.2 million for next season.

My guess is he plays out this contract then retires as arguably the greatest three-point shooter the game has ever seen. But always leave yourself options. Which is what Allen did.

1. sportsnut101 - Jan 23, 2013 at 2:42 PM

i didnt know he was still playing havent really done nothing with the heat i know hes the 6option but still lol lebron is opton 1 and 2 wade is 3 and 4 n chalmers n miller n bose split 5 option

2. mungman69 - Jan 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM

He won’t retire and lose 3.5 mil, would you?

• andyhr17 - Jan 23, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I really don’t think Ray Allen is living paycheck to paycheck. I don’t think money is the issue. If he Heat win it all, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he walks away.

• michaeljordanseviltwin - Jan 23, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Ray Allen just turned down $6 million about five months ago. Did you forget?

3. mgscott - Jan 23, 2013 at 3:19 PM

As long as NBA teams are willing to pay him to play 15 minutes a game why would he retire ?

• scalfor3 - Jan 23, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Because he already has tons of money and is tired of traveling constantly and being away from his family?

4. eventhorizon04 - Jan 23, 2013 at 3:47 PM

He could retire. I would think the Heat only expected 1-2 years out of him, but for now, he’s done well as a backup guard who spaces the floor.

5. progress2011 - Jan 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I admire Rays body of work, he has provided basketball fans for many years. He is a class act !

He is in GREAT shape and will never lose that smooth jumper. He will be able to shoot the rock, when he is 90 !!!

But as with all of us will experience, father time will come knocking.

This is meant with the most respect imaginable but Ray can/ should hang his sneaks up after this year.

He will be able to walk away with his head high, having had a fantastic career, won a Chip (hopefully 2) and set a 3 point record that may last for many years.

He has the respectability and class to easily transcend to a GM position.

Or he could open a training facility (like Olajuwon has) to teach players how to shoot…..because so many of them can’t……he will make a fortune!

6. miamatt - Jan 23, 2013 at 10:09 PM

The only way I see Ray Allen retiring is if he aggravates his ankle or otherwise isn’t able to contribute at a high level in the playoffs. He has been a perfect fit in Miami thus far and has a legit title shot for at a minimum this year and next.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches