Jan 23, 2013, 8:05 PM EST
When Ray Allen left Boston to go to Miami, mixed in amongst the cries of “traitor” and Kevin Garnett losing Allen’s phone number were a lot of Celtics fans saying the future Hall of Famer would not be missed. Which actually made some sense on paper — they brought in Jason Terry and Courtney Lee, they had Jeff Green coming back, the drop off would not be that severe.
But the Celtics are 20-21 and they have not been impressive save for short spurts all season. All of New England is looking for reasons and answers.
A lot of opponents told Jessica Camerato of CSNNE.com that Boston is a lot different without Ray Allen and that the Celtics miss him. Here are a few highlights, but go read the whole thing.
Richard Hamilton (Chicago Bulls)
“They’re different. When you go into the game, you know with him, he’s coming off curls, he’s coming off pin downs. He really spaces the floor for Paul [Pierce] to go ahead and to what he do, for KG [Kevin Garnett] to do what he do. It was a guy that you never ever could not guard.”
Luol Deng (Chicago Bulls)
“It’s going to be difficult. Ray Allen takes so much attention and he gets guys shots. He made a big difference for them. You could always replace everyone. It’s just, how do you do it? It’s not going to be one guy. Don’t think that you’re going to bring one guy in and he’s going to just fill in the shoes. It takes a team effort and a team goes in a different direction, whether it’s Paul Pierce or Kevin or [Rajon] Rondo who are scoring more. I think people fall into, ‘This guy’s gone, so this guy has to be that guy.’ It’s never like that.
Tony Allen (Memphis Grizzlies)
“That’s a Hall of Fame kind of guy. So that right there just lets you know, they’re missing Ray. Period, point blank. They’re missing Ray.”
I still expect Terry to find a better groove and help bring a little of what Ray did to the second unit, something he can do more with Avery Bradley back in the lineup.
But Allen and all the little things he brought are not so easy to replace. And without him the Celtics margin for error is just that much smaller.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 4
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 11
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 27
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10