Jan 22, 2013, 1:53 AM EDT
Some guys put up big numbers on Monday — Philly’s Evan Turner (18 points, 12 boards, 7 assists), Carmelo Anthony (29 points), Nene (24 points, 9 rebounds), DeMarcus Cousins (29 points, 13 rebounds) — and maybe none better than Nicolas Batum’s triple-double (12 points, 11 assists, 10 rebounds).
But none of them make the cut. We go with the guys who made it happen at the end of the game for their team.
So no, there is no chance Rudy Gay makes the cut today.
Third star: Jordan Crawford (13 points)
Not much of a stat line, but he had all 13 of his points in the fourth quarter, capped off by maybe the best game winning shot of the night. The game winner was a leaning 28-foot three at the buzzer — one that an NBA player would tell you was lucky. Still, it counts just the same and the Wizards get another win.
Second Star: Tim Duncan (24 points, 17 rebounds)
Still think he’s washed up? Duncan has had his best season in three or four years, reversing any decline at age 36 people may have thought was going on. And he put up a big line against the Sixers, but he made key plays down the stretch (6 points, 5 rebounds in the fourth quarter). There was a block on Jrue Holiday. There were a couple of key rebounds. But maybe the biggest was his turnaround 14-foot jumper with 1:43 left that gave the Spurs the lead for good.
First Star: Joe Johnson (25 points, 5 assists)
When Joe Johnson was traded, actually even right as he signed his new contract, there were questions if he would be worth it at the end of the deal. That may be true. But right now, early in the deal, he is still one of the better isolation scorers in the NBA. And with the game on the line he put that skill to use, created space and knocked down the 15-foot jumper that gave the Nets a quality win over the Knicks. Oh, and by the way the Nets are back to being good again.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13