Spurs Kawhi Leonard says nail on floor cut his knee open

Jan 22, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT

Kawhi Leonard Gregg Popovich AP

With 1:31 left in the Spurs win in Philadelphia Sunday, Kawhi Leonard had to leave the game after going to the floor and coming up with something wrong with his knee that was of concern.

What is more interesting is his explanation, via the San Antonio Express News Spurs blog.

“I just hit the hardwood on one of those nails, really hard,” said Leonard, who made two of the biggest plays of the period for the Spurs. “It busted my knee wide open.

“It kind of felt funny when I tried to explode up the court when we got the ball and I tried to cut to the basket, so I had to come out and see what was wrong before I injured it worse.”

NBA courts are not held together by nails pretty much for this reason, so if there was a nail how did it get there? Leonard’s knee no doubt hit something, what exactly remains unclear.

He is not expected to miss any time, but it is an odd injury.

1. goraidersgospurs - Jan 22, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Get a lawyer Kawhi!!!

• fanofevilempire - Jan 23, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Eas Coast is a tough place to ball son, these West Coast ballers gotta man up!

hehhehehhehhehheheh

2. tannethrill - Jan 22, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Ummm video?

3. amoose3 - Jan 22, 2013 at 1:49 PM

The slow-mo is annoying but heres the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS0vlZoOCKs

I watched the game and he was definitely hurting after this play but I never saw any blood, the refs didnt either because they never stopped play. Its hard to tell if he hit a nail but clearly Evan Turner’s crossover (with the help of Thad Young’s size 13 shoe) tripped him up.

4. lucifershuttlesworth - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I’m just amazed Bynum wasn’t able to end his career by impaling himself on this exposed nail during his shootaround.

The list of championship contenders
Top 10 NBA Player Searches