Jan 22, 2013, 11:45 AM EST
With 1:31 left in the Spurs win in Philadelphia Sunday, Kawhi Leonard had to leave the game after going to the floor and coming up with something wrong with his knee that was of concern.
What is more interesting is his explanation, via the San Antonio Express News Spurs blog.
“I just hit the hardwood on one of those nails, really hard,” said Leonard, who made two of the biggest plays of the period for the Spurs. “It busted my knee wide open.
“It kind of felt funny when I tried to explode up the court when we got the ball and I tried to cut to the basket, so I had to come out and see what was wrong before I injured it worse.”
NBA courts are not held together by nails pretty much for this reason, so if there was a nail how did it get there? Leonard’s knee no doubt hit something, what exactly remains unclear.
He is not expected to miss any time, but it is an odd injury.
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 1
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 8
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 15