Jan 22, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
With 1:31 left in the Spurs win in Philadelphia Sunday, Kawhi Leonard had to leave the game after going to the floor and coming up with something wrong with his knee that was of concern.
What is more interesting is his explanation, via the San Antonio Express News Spurs blog.
“I just hit the hardwood on one of those nails, really hard,” said Leonard, who made two of the biggest plays of the period for the Spurs. “It busted my knee wide open.
“It kind of felt funny when I tried to explode up the court when we got the ball and I tried to cut to the basket, so I had to come out and see what was wrong before I injured it worse.”
NBA courts are not held together by nails pretty much for this reason, so if there was a nail how did it get there? Leonard’s knee no doubt hit something, what exactly remains unclear.
He is not expected to miss any time, but it is an odd injury.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 12
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 5
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 63
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 68
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30