Jan 22, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
With 1:31 left in the Spurs win in Philadelphia Sunday, Kawhi Leonard had to leave the game after going to the floor and coming up with something wrong with his knee that was of concern.
What is more interesting is his explanation, via the San Antonio Express News Spurs blog.
“I just hit the hardwood on one of those nails, really hard,” said Leonard, who made two of the biggest plays of the period for the Spurs. “It busted my knee wide open.
“It kind of felt funny when I tried to explode up the court when we got the ball and I tried to cut to the basket, so I had to come out and see what was wrong before I injured it worse.”
NBA courts are not held together by nails pretty much for this reason, so if there was a nail how did it get there? Leonard’s knee no doubt hit something, what exactly remains unclear.
He is not expected to miss any time, but it is an odd injury.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 16
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32