Jan 22, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
The Denver Post has a story about how the Nuggets are being patient with the wildly erratic JaVale McGee — they gave him four years, $44 million last summer and now say it’s just fine that Kosta Koufos beat him out for the starting job because it’s about the long term.
The Nuggets brass has made a bet he is going to mature into a star — he certainly has the skills. He is the most athletic big man in the league, but he is as likely to make a boneheaded play as he is a brilliant one. He’s now a regular on NBATV’s “Shaqtin’ a Fool.”
Which led to a great line from George Karl.
“He’s got to understand that lazy and crazy isn’t going to make it work,” Karl said. “We want solid and we want fundamental, and we want spectacular but only when it happens, not forcing the action where sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn’t.”
Just a thought: McGee is in his fifth NBA season at age 25 and his numbers this season are pretty much the same as last season.
Maybe this is it. Maybe this is just who JaVale McGee is. Erratic game and all.
The Nuggets have bet big that is not the case.
- Eastern Conference Finals preview: Pacers vs. Heat 2
- Clippers let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 19
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 12
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 11
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 8
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery