Jan 22, 2013, 6:29 PM EDT
The point here is not the specific rumor itself but what it signifies.
This morning there was a report on Real GM that seemed to sweep across twitter and the Internet like a buffalo stampede — the Nets had interest in acquiring disgruntled Laker Dwight Howard. (I’m calling him disgruntled because I watched him play the last couple games.) The rumor comes from Jared Rudolph, who has shown in the past he has sources tied into Howard’s camp. The rumor called for a three-way trade that would send Howard to Brooklyn, Brook Lopez to Minnesota and Kevin Love to the Lakers. Rudolph says the idea died when Love broke his hand, needed surgery and was out a couple of months.
I’ll say the rumor was dead long before that. As in it never really existed in a viable way. For one the Timberwolves were never called, but if you were them would you trade Love for Lopez? Also:
• The Nets quickly shot the rumor down. Here is what is reported at Nets Daily.
In an email, received minutes after NetsDaily reported on the rumor, the source wrote, “Total BS, Jarrod What ever His Name Is just fabricated a story.” The response was extraordinary and unprecedented in its speed and aggressiveness.
Later, a second Nets source said simply of the report, “Not true.”
• The Lakers got Howard with an eye toward the long term and while he has struggled and looked disinterested of late, that’s a long way from the Lakers bailing on their plan of making him the future. Of course, he’s had a rough half a season so some impatient Lakers fans are ready to trade him for Sasha Vujacic and a rack of shoot around basketballs, but management is not so eager.
But here’s why the rumor matters:
Rudolph’s sources are close to Howard’s camp. If there are people in Howard’s camp thinking he may choose not to re-sign with the Lakers then Los Angeles has to consider options for him as other offers come in around the deadline. And after watching how unhappy he seemed of late, you can bet teams will try to pick the Lakers apart on a deal.
You also can bet the Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak will ask Howard and his agent about whether or not he plans to sign. Not that he will get a direct yes or no, but he can start to gauge intentions.
I would be very surprised if Los Angeles pull the trigger on any deal for Howard. He remains the guy they want to bring back this summer and lead them into the post Kobe era. I don’t these 41 games changed that. And despite everything I’m not sure Howard thinks the grass will be greener elsewhere (and remember the Lakers have his Bird rights and can pay more than anyone else).
But the rumor suggests that an idea that seemed unthinkable — the Lakers and Howard parting ways soon — is moving into people’s thought process. And you can bet teams will inquire about it what it might cost to get Howard.
Let the rumors begin.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
He won’t replace Wesley Matthews, but he’s another body.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT
A much-needed win for the Raptors.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Gobert wouldn’t let it stand and blocked him right after.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
It was a frightening display of strength.
Mar 30, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
A reminder of the Crash of old.
Mar 30, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
Capela is making a name for himself.
Mar 30, 2015, 7:56 PM EDT
Rose underwent knee surgery in February.
Mar 30, 2015, 7:18 PM EDT
This is the opposite of a surprise.
Mar 30, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
There were rumors he wanted the Sacramento GM job, but George Karl has the power there now.
Mar 30, 2015, 5:38 PM EDT
Also, is Willie Caulie-Stein a great fit next to DeMarcus Cousins?
Mar 30, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Cavaliers center is a star
Mar 30, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
UNLV freshman likely headed for second round
Mar 30, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
The top three are Golden State, Cleveland and San Antonio. Would you be shocked if any of them won the title?
StubHub sues Warriors, accuses Golden State of preventing StubHub-using fans from buying playoff tickets
Mar 30, 2015, 2:38 PM EDT
StubHub says Warriors permit resale through only Ticketmaster
Mar 30, 2015, 1:59 PM EDT
Rockets point guard to have surgery on wrist
Mar 30, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT
Phil Jackson disciple Craig Hodges now coaching Westchester Knicks
Mar 30, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT
Jordan made preseason debut at Washington High School, but at one point, it seemed Washington High alum Junior Bridgeman would be the big draw
Mar 30, 2015, 12:11 PM EDT
D.J. Augustin throws the alley-oop, and two Thunder players go for it. Westbrook won.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:33 AM EDT
Good decision to go pro, poor decision to end video how he did
Mar 30, 2015, 10:58 AM EDT
Nothing raises a team’s spirits like playing New York
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15