Jan 22, 2013, 6:29 PM EDT
The point here is not the specific rumor itself but what it signifies.
This morning there was a report on Real GM that seemed to sweep across twitter and the Internet like a buffalo stampede — the Nets had interest in acquiring disgruntled Laker Dwight Howard. (I’m calling him disgruntled because I watched him play the last couple games.) The rumor comes from Jared Rudolph, who has shown in the past he has sources tied into Howard’s camp. The rumor called for a three-way trade that would send Howard to Brooklyn, Brook Lopez to Minnesota and Kevin Love to the Lakers. Rudolph says the idea died when Love broke his hand, needed surgery and was out a couple of months.
I’ll say the rumor was dead long before that. As in it never really existed in a viable way. For one the Timberwolves were never called, but if you were them would you trade Love for Lopez? Also:
• The Nets quickly shot the rumor down. Here is what is reported at Nets Daily.
In an email, received minutes after NetsDaily reported on the rumor, the source wrote, “Total BS, Jarrod What ever His Name Is just fabricated a story.” The response was extraordinary and unprecedented in its speed and aggressiveness.
Later, a second Nets source said simply of the report, “Not true.”
• The Lakers got Howard with an eye toward the long term and while he has struggled and looked disinterested of late, that’s a long way from the Lakers bailing on their plan of making him the future. Of course, he’s had a rough half a season so some impatient Lakers fans are ready to trade him for Sasha Vujacic and a rack of shoot around basketballs, but management is not so eager.
But here’s why the rumor matters:
Rudolph’s sources are close to Howard’s camp. If there are people in Howard’s camp thinking he may choose not to re-sign with the Lakers then Los Angeles has to consider options for him as other offers come in around the deadline. And after watching how unhappy he seemed of late, you can bet teams will try to pick the Lakers apart on a deal.
You also can bet the Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak will ask Howard and his agent about whether or not he plans to sign. Not that he will get a direct yes or no, but he can start to gauge intentions.
I would be very surprised if Los Angeles pull the trigger on any deal for Howard. He remains the guy they want to bring back this summer and lead them into the post Kobe era. I don’t these 41 games changed that. And despite everything I’m not sure Howard thinks the grass will be greener elsewhere (and remember the Lakers have his Bird rights and can pay more than anyone else).
But the rumor suggests that an idea that seemed unthinkable — the Lakers and Howard parting ways soon — is moving into people’s thought process. And you can bet teams will inquire about it what it might cost to get Howard.
Let the rumors begin.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Portland, down 0-2 to Memphis, needs all the help it can get.
Apr 24, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
NBA continues its technological push.
Apr 24, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Parker is going to finish his degree at Duke.
Apr 24, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
The Warriors eventually won in overtime regardless.
Apr 24, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Looking past the first round to some of the more exciting later matchups to come.
Apr 24, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
The long-running rift continues.
Apr 24, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
He’s got to coach whoever they draft anyway, why not?
LeBron James on why Kevin Love gets criticized: ‘When you have a big three, they’ve got to find someone’
Apr 24, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
With Heat, it was Chris Bosh
Apr 24, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
Aron Baynes doubtful
Apr 24, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
Spurs assistant coach achieved incredible success in Europe
Apr 24, 2015, 1:55 PM EDT
Which is ridiculous
Apr 24, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Despite the chess match going on, guys still have to just hit their looks.
Apr 24, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
Brave to admit the mistake, but still not inspiring
Apr 24, 2015, 11:52 AM EDT
Johnson a borderline top-10 prospect
Apr 24, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
And I’m not just talking about allowing Stephen Curry’s game-tying 3-pointer
Apr 24, 2015, 10:33 AM EDT
Is his scoring, size and athleticism worth the trouble? It won’t take long for an NBA team to say yes
Apr 24, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
Bulls point guard looks good – very good
Apr 24, 2015, 9:12 AM EDT
Easily worst flop of the playoffs so far
Apr 24, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
An engaged Rondo would have been a different story. Probably. We will never know.
Apr 24, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
With 49 seconds to go the Warriors had a five percent chance of winning.
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 5
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10
- LeBron James lifts Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers to 3-0 lead over Celtics 13
- PBT Extra: Thin bench becomes big issue for Clippers against Spurs 7
- PBT Extra: Wizards’ backcourt owning matchup with Toronto 0