Jan 22, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
The official word on the return of Derrick Rose to the Bulls has always been “after the All-Star Break.” But it’s feeling more and more like it could be a little sooner than that from the blown up ACL he had in the first game of the playoffs last season.
Here is the latest update from Tom Thibodeau before the game vs. the Lakers Monday, via my man Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.
“[Rose is] very close. That [full-contact practices] will be the next step,” Thibodeau said with a wry smirk on his face. “It could [happen this week].
“He has to go through that for an extended amount of time. That’s not going to be, ‘Okay, one or two days of contact and he’s going to be out there. That’s not going to happen. Everyone has to be patient. He’s doing his part. He’s showing great patience. Everyone else has to,” he continued.
There is no rush because the Bulls are winning, at 24-16 they are currently the five seed in the East.
How the Bulls play — team ball, defense, passion — was a stark contrast from the Lakers and spoke to the coach and team makeup that can be undervalued in the NBA.
But Rose takes a nice Bulls team to potential contender. Whether he can do that this year remains to be seen. It may be next season before he is close to his old self.
Still it will be good to see him on the court. Hopefully soon.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 20
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona