Jan 22, 2013, 6:39 PM EDT
A couple days ago a frustrated Doc Rivers sounded like a guy who wanted a trade done to shake up and improve his roster. Because, at that moment I bet he did.
But Rivers is a coach, it’s Danny Ainge who pulls the trigger on such deals. And he once again denied any plans to make a trade, this time to the Boston Herald.
“Realistically, I don’t see major changes coming,” said Ainge, well aware that market factors and the Rubik’s Cube difficulties of finding a transaction that meets the needs of two teams at the same time conspire against blockbuster trades.
“Of course we’re trying to get better, and any deal that was available that could help us, you obviously do that. But we’re not just trying to make any deal. We’re not selling the team off or anything like that. We’re trying to win with what we have right now. That’s got to be our first objective.”
Ainge has denied there would be a trade before then turned around and made a move, so take his comments with a few grains of salt.
But it doesn’t sound like the Celtics are going to make a deadline move out of frustration or desperation, no moves just to make a move and shake things up. Nor should they, this is a roster has shown in stretches it can be good — they made a commitment last summer to see if this roster could make one more run. Expect them to see it through, at least until the summer.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 5
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 6
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 10
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 19
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31