Jan 22, 2013, 6:39 PM EST
A couple days ago a frustrated Doc Rivers sounded like a guy who wanted a trade done to shake up and improve his roster. Because, at that moment I bet he did.
But Rivers is a coach, it’s Danny Ainge who pulls the trigger on such deals. And he once again denied any plans to make a trade, this time to the Boston Herald.
“Realistically, I don’t see major changes coming,” said Ainge, well aware that market factors and the Rubik’s Cube difficulties of finding a transaction that meets the needs of two teams at the same time conspire against blockbuster trades.
“Of course we’re trying to get better, and any deal that was available that could help us, you obviously do that. But we’re not just trying to make any deal. We’re not selling the team off or anything like that. We’re trying to win with what we have right now. That’s got to be our first objective.”
Ainge has denied there would be a trade before then turned around and made a move, so take his comments with a few grains of salt.
But it doesn’t sound like the Celtics are going to make a deadline move out of frustration or desperation, no moves just to make a move and shake things up. Nor should they, this is a roster has shown in stretches it can be good — they made a commitment last summer to see if this roster could make one more run. Expect them to see it through, at least until the summer.
- Report: Grizzlies shopping Zach Randolph around, want deal with Pelicans 0
- Nets notes: Kidd takes some credit, Lopez downplays injury, and Pierce off the bench 0
- Report: Knicks’ owner shoots down trade to get team Kyle Lowry 10
- The Extra Pass: Deron Williams is the difference for Nets; plus Thursday’s recaps 0
- Thursday night NBA grades: Any more questions for LaMarcus Aldridge? Didn’t think so. 5
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)