Jan 22, 2013, 6:39 PM EDT
A couple days ago a frustrated Doc Rivers sounded like a guy who wanted a trade done to shake up and improve his roster. Because, at that moment I bet he did.
But Rivers is a coach, it’s Danny Ainge who pulls the trigger on such deals. And he once again denied any plans to make a trade, this time to the Boston Herald.
“Realistically, I don’t see major changes coming,” said Ainge, well aware that market factors and the Rubik’s Cube difficulties of finding a transaction that meets the needs of two teams at the same time conspire against blockbuster trades.
“Of course we’re trying to get better, and any deal that was available that could help us, you obviously do that. But we’re not just trying to make any deal. We’re not selling the team off or anything like that. We’re trying to win with what we have right now. That’s got to be our first objective.”
Ainge has denied there would be a trade before then turned around and made a move, so take his comments with a few grains of salt.
But it doesn’t sound like the Celtics are going to make a deadline move out of frustration or desperation, no moves just to make a move and shake things up. Nor should they, this is a roster has shown in stretches it can be good — they made a commitment last summer to see if this roster could make one more run. Expect them to see it through, at least until the summer.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 12
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 9
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 100
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (100)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'