Jan 21, 2013, 9:41 AM EDT
If you want to know why the Lakers are five games below .500, watch their defense in these highlights from their loss to Toronto Sunday.
The temptation is to say that of course Jose Calderon had his way with the Lakers perimeter players, Steve Nash was guarding him. And Calderon has some success against him. But watch the highlights and notice a bunch of these are against Kobe Bryant. Also notice how when he gets in the lane the Lakers big men rotate over to cut off his drives (usually) but nobody helps the helper much.
The Lakers defensive rotations are a mess and if you are a smart point guard like Calderon you can make them pay because of it. He did. The Raptors won. Deservedly.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 61
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 71
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8