Jan 21, 2013, 9:41 AM EST
If you want to know why the Lakers are five games below .500, watch their defense in these highlights from their loss to Toronto Sunday.
The temptation is to say that of course Jose Calderon had his way with the Lakers perimeter players, Steve Nash was guarding him. And Calderon has some success against him. But watch the highlights and notice a bunch of these are against Kobe Bryant. Also notice how when he gets in the lane the Lakers big men rotate over to cut off his drives (usually) but nobody helps the helper much.
The Lakers defensive rotations are a mess and if you are a smart point guard like Calderon you can make them pay because of it. He did. The Raptors won. Deservedly.
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 0
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 1
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 14
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)