Jan 21, 2013, 9:41 AM EDT
If you want to know why the Lakers are five games below .500, watch their defense in these highlights from their loss to Toronto Sunday.
The temptation is to say that of course Jose Calderon had his way with the Lakers perimeter players, Steve Nash was guarding him. And Calderon has some success against him. But watch the highlights and notice a bunch of these are against Kobe Bryant. Also notice how when he gets in the lane the Lakers big men rotate over to cut off his drives (usually) but nobody helps the helper much.
The Lakers defensive rotations are a mess and if you are a smart point guard like Calderon you can make them pay because of it. He did. The Raptors won. Deservedly.
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 3
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 9
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 17
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 27
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 6
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 90