Jan 21, 2013, 9:41 AM EDT
If you want to know why the Lakers are five games below .500, watch their defense in these highlights from their loss to Toronto Sunday.
The temptation is to say that of course Jose Calderon had his way with the Lakers perimeter players, Steve Nash was guarding him. And Calderon has some success against him. But watch the highlights and notice a bunch of these are against Kobe Bryant. Also notice how when he gets in the lane the Lakers big men rotate over to cut off his drives (usually) but nobody helps the helper much.
The Lakers defensive rotations are a mess and if you are a smart point guard like Calderon you can make them pay because of it. He did. The Raptors won. Deservedly.
- Report: Bulls’ Jimmy Butler wins Most Improved Player 0
- PBT Extra: Mike Conley changes series, but Warriors will start to hit shots again 4
- Last summer Blake Griffin talked to Tim Duncan about leadership 6
- PBT Extra: Will anyone step up and be third scorer for Cavaliers in Game 2? 15
- Doc Rivers on whether Chris Paul plays in Game 2 vs. Rockets: ‘Right now, I just don’t think so’ 4
- Tony ‘First Team All-Defense’ Allen and Mike ‘Masked Assassin’ Conley lead Grizzlies to Game 2 win over Warriors 18
- Hawks unimpressive, but pull away late for Game 2 win over Wizards 6
- Mike Conley playing Game 2 against Warriors tonight 0