Jan 21, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
The hits just keep on coming for the Cleveland Cavaliers. First it was Kyrie Irving missing the first third of the season, now this.
Anderson Varejao, the Cavaliers big man who was playing at an All-Star level (14.1 points and 14.4 rebounds a game), had knee surgery a couple weeks ago that was expected to keep him out six to eight weeks.
Now he is out for the season, the team announced Monday.
Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao recently developed a blood clot (small right lower lung pulmonary embolism) and was admitted to the Cleveland Clinic last Thursday (January 17th). He is being treated with blood thinners (anticoagulants) and is expected to stay at the Clinic for several days, while undergoing treatment and observation. He will need to remain on blood thinning medication for approximately three months. While Varejao is expected to fully recover, he will miss the remainder of the current Cavaliers season.
So, you can cross Varejao off your trade scenarios list for the next few weeks. Maybe next summer if he is healthy, he has two years and $18.7 million left on his contract.
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 2
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 4
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 29
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record