Jan 20, 2013, 11:33 PM EST
During the timeout break of a hotly contested game in Denver, Westbrook decided to take some frustration out. As the Nuggets’ mascot “Rocky” fired a heave from halfcourt, Westbrook jumped up and goaltended the shot. Why? Who knows. Some men just like to watch the world burn.
As you’d expect, Westbrook got some serious heat from the crowd when the real (but decidedly less entertaining) action resumed. Blocking the shot of the opposing team’s mascot is funny and innocent enough…but not when something free is on the line. You’ve seen how crazy fans go for free items thrown or launched by cannon into the crowd — small children get trampled, elderly women catch elbows to the face — it’s all bad. But there was something more serious on the line when Rocky reared back for those halfcourt shots.
And we all know you don’t mess with a fan’s queso. Westbrook’s treason didn’t even stop with one goaltend — he did it again the next timeout break. Here’s the hilarious footage of Westbrook denying both of Rocky’s attempts from halfcourt:
Funny as it all was, the mascot denials kind of pumped Westbrook up. A few plays after, he responded to the crowd’s vigorous booing drilling a tough long 3-pointer that helped the Thunder take the game to overtime.
While Denver fans may not have gotten their queso, they did eventually get an overtime win, a deal for discounted tacos, and Westbrook with egg on his face after all the barking he did at the crowd over the course of the game. So all’s well that ends well, except maybe for Rocky the mascot, who might be a little more weary of shotblockers on his halfcourt heaves from now on.
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 17
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 18
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30