Jan 20, 2013, 11:33 PM EDT
During the timeout break of a hotly contested game in Denver, Westbrook decided to take some frustration out. As the Nuggets’ mascot “Rocky” fired a heave from halfcourt, Westbrook jumped up and goaltended the shot. Why? Who knows. Some men just like to watch the world burn.
As you’d expect, Westbrook got some serious heat from the crowd when the real (but decidedly less entertaining) action resumed. Blocking the shot of the opposing team’s mascot is funny and innocent enough…but not when something free is on the line. You’ve seen how crazy fans go for free items thrown or launched by cannon into the crowd — small children get trampled, elderly women catch elbows to the face — it’s all bad. But there was something more serious on the line when Rocky reared back for those halfcourt shots.
And we all know you don’t mess with a fan’s queso. Westbrook’s treason didn’t even stop with one goaltend — he did it again the next timeout break. Here’s the hilarious footage of Westbrook denying both of Rocky’s attempts from halfcourt:
Funny as it all was, the mascot denials kind of pumped Westbrook up. A few plays after, he responded to the crowd’s vigorous booing drilling a tough long 3-pointer that helped the Thunder take the game to overtime.
While Denver fans may not have gotten their queso, they did eventually get an overtime win, a deal for discounted tacos, and Westbrook with egg on his face after all the barking he did at the crowd over the course of the game. So all’s well that ends well, except maybe for Rocky the mascot, who might be a little more weary of shotblockers on his halfcourt heaves from now on.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32