Jan 20, 2013, 11:33 PM EST
During the timeout break of a hotly contested game in Denver, Westbrook decided to take some frustration out. As the Nuggets’ mascot “Rocky” fired a heave from halfcourt, Westbrook jumped up and goaltended the shot. Why? Who knows. Some men just like to watch the world burn.
As you’d expect, Westbrook got some serious heat from the crowd when the real (but decidedly less entertaining) action resumed. Blocking the shot of the opposing team’s mascot is funny and innocent enough…but not when something free is on the line. You’ve seen how crazy fans go for free items thrown or launched by cannon into the crowd — small children get trampled, elderly women catch elbows to the face — it’s all bad. But there was something more serious on the line when Rocky reared back for those halfcourt shots.
And we all know you don’t mess with a fan’s queso. Westbrook’s treason didn’t even stop with one goaltend — he did it again the next timeout break. Here’s the hilarious footage of Westbrook denying both of Rocky’s attempts from halfcourt:
Funny as it all was, the mascot denials kind of pumped Westbrook up. A few plays after, he responded to the crowd’s vigorous booing drilling a tough long 3-pointer that helped the Thunder take the game to overtime.
While Denver fans may not have gotten their queso, they did eventually get an overtime win, a deal for discounted tacos, and Westbrook with egg on his face after all the barking he did at the crowd over the course of the game. So all’s well that ends well, except maybe for Rocky the mascot, who might be a little more weary of shotblockers on his halfcourt heaves from now on.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 18
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6