Jan 20, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Dirk Nowitzki missed the first third of the season with following knee surgery. Since he has returned he hasn’t been himself — 14 points a game on 41 percent shooting, with a PER right at the league average of 15. All of that has been just part of a disappointing season so far in Dallas.
And it means that there is little to no chance coaches will vote Nowitzki in as an All-Star reserve.
Which will end a streak of 11 consecutive All-Star games for the German marksman. He is coming to grips with that, he told NBA.com.
“It’s obviously a disappointing streak to end, but it is what it is,” Nowitzki told reporters this week. “I had fun representing the Mavs all these years, but it was a tough year for me with injuries. I guess those four days I’m going to enjoy and get a good amount of work in as well and get recharged for the second half of the season.”
Times, they are a changin’. Fans want to see Blake Griffin and Kevin Durant, and so streaks are ending — Nowitzki this year, Tim Duncan’s streak of 13 consecutive ended last year (although Duncan is having a strong season so far and could be voted in by coaches as a reserve).
Dallas is hoping for that same kind of bounce back with Nowitzki next year — he gets healthy, the roster around him is improved and suddenly Dallas is back in the mix. And so would be Nowitzki.
But for now, the streak is going to die when the reserves are announced Thursday.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 42
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 88
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 60
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59