Jan 20, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Dirk Nowitzki missed the first third of the season with following knee surgery. Since he has returned he hasn’t been himself — 14 points a game on 41 percent shooting, with a PER right at the league average of 15. All of that has been just part of a disappointing season so far in Dallas.
And it means that there is little to no chance coaches will vote Nowitzki in as an All-Star reserve.
Which will end a streak of 11 consecutive All-Star games for the German marksman. He is coming to grips with that, he told NBA.com.
“It’s obviously a disappointing streak to end, but it is what it is,” Nowitzki told reporters this week. “I had fun representing the Mavs all these years, but it was a tough year for me with injuries. I guess those four days I’m going to enjoy and get a good amount of work in as well and get recharged for the second half of the season.”
Times, they are a changin’. Fans want to see Blake Griffin and Kevin Durant, and so streaks are ending — Nowitzki this year, Tim Duncan’s streak of 13 consecutive ended last year (although Duncan is having a strong season so far and could be voted in by coaches as a reserve).
Dallas is hoping for that same kind of bounce back with Nowitzki next year — he gets healthy, the roster around him is improved and suddenly Dallas is back in the mix. And so would be Nowitzki.
But for now, the streak is going to die when the reserves are announced Thursday.
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 1
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 6
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 7
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)