Jan 19, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Steve Nash had a good relationship with Alvin Gentry in Phoenix, his former head coach who led Nash and the Suns to the Western Conference finals back in 2010. Not surprisingly, Nash had good things to say in the wake of Gentry’s dismissal from the organization on Thursday.
Nash essentially said that the parting of ways between the Suns and Gentry might ultimately have been a good thing, considering the direction the team was headed along with Gentry’s talents as a competitor and respected leader in NBA circles.
“Obviously, I’m sad for Alvin (Gentry), but in some ways maybe this is a good thing for him,” Lakers guard Steve Nash said after practice Friday. Nash was coached the last four years by Gentry, reaching the Western Conference Finals together against Los Angeles in 2010. “He’s a great coach, a really good coach and any club would be lucky to have him as a coach, that’s for sure. He’ll land on his feet for sure because he can really do a good job.”
Was Nash surprised by the firing?
“I think the writing’s been on the wall,” Nash said. “It looks like it to me … They wouldn’t extend his contract. They just gave him the year to kind of play it out. It looked like they wanted to get their own guy in there.”
Gentry truly didn’t have a chance with this roster. And while management felt that the team was regressing at worst, and not improving at the very least, there’s some truth to the fact that they wanted to go in another direction long-term, as evidenced by the lack of a contract extension given to Gentry before the season began.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 10
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 43
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11