Jan 19, 2013, 1:13 AM EDT
Kevin Durant scored 52 points, a new career-high in leading the Thunder to a 117-114 overtime win in Dallas against the Mavericks.
None of his shots were as ridiculous or as important as the one you see in the video clip above.
With under 27 seconds remaining in overtime and the game tied at 114, Russell Westbrook has possession at the top of the three-point arc. He passes to Durant just above the elbow, who turns and faces Shawn Marion about 20 feet from the basket.
With just three dribbles, Durant gets briefly past Marion into the lane, before Marion recovers in time to defend the shot attempt closely. Durant sinks the tough fadeaway floater (if there is such a thing) to give him the final two points of his 52 on the night, and the Thunder escaped with their league-leading 32nd win of the season.
The crazy thing about the career-high performance from Durant was that it wasn’t his best overall offensive game by a longshot. He finished just 13-31 from the field, and missed plenty of shots that are regular makes for the man who has won three consecutive scoring titles. 21 of his points came at the free throw line, where he didn’t miss once in 21 attempts.
Westbrook chipped in with 31 points on 12-26 shooting, giving the pair 83 of their team’s 117 points.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 3
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 12
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- LIVE: Pacers aim to even series with Heat
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination