Jan 18, 2013, 3:34 PM EDT
Fans may not get how well No. 1 overall pick Anthony Davis is playing this season.
For one, Damian Lillard gets all the rookie headlines, and he deserves them for his smooth offensive game and taking control of the Portland offense. Combine that with the fact Davis is an evolving offensive player — you can’t just throw him the ball in the post our out on the wing (or elbow) and expect him to blow your doors of in isolation — and he’s not a guy who grabs a lot of fans’eyes. Davis is scoring 12.3 points a game but it comes off being strong as the roll man (shooting 50.8 percent in that role), plus being smart making cuts in the offense. Those aren’t highlight plays.
But Kevin Garnett is a believer.
“That kid is long,” said Garnett. “I think he makes me look like a midget, man. … He’s a freak of nature. The kid’s going to be really good. The kid’s going to be really good.”
He is. Davis is not some lane-clogging big, as a rookie he gets the idea of efficiency and spacing. He rolls down the lane, he is developing a midrange game and he just plays smart.
You don’t draft an NBA player based on where their skill is at that moment but rather where they can and should be in three years. And in three years Davis will be the best player out of this draft class. You can see it developing, and so can Garnett.
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under two hours, players barely notice 0
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 9
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 6
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 30
- Suns coach Hornacek says shortening games won’t help teams rest their stars 2
- Lakers coach Byron Scott’s philosophy on three-pointers: ‘I don’t believe it wins championships’ 33
- Accounting for Klay Thompson choosing a contract extension over new-TV-deal money 2
- Kobe Bryant calls ESPN voters who ranked him No. 40 ‘idiots’ 34