Jan 18, 2013, 9:36 AM EDT
Yesterday we told you how Kobe Bryant said he was a one-on-one basketball god who could beat anyone, and that included him thrashing Tracy McGrady back in the day.
I played T-Mac. I cooked him. Roasted him. Wasn’t even close. Ask him, he’ll tell you.
Well, someone did. Word got halfway around to the globe to China (where McGrady plays now) pretty fast and T-Mac isn’t exactly backing Kobe Bryant’s version of events.
@mheatfan631 LOL Hell no! That’s far from the truth. No one in the NBA is playing 1 on 1. Me and KB never went to Germany together either..
— Tracy McGrady (@Real_T_Mac) January 18, 2013
So did Kobe and T-Mac once play one-on-one? Or was this a hoax, the kind of game Manti Te’o’s girlfriend could have refereed?
Depends on who you want to believe.
And honestly, do you care who is the better one-on-one player? I suppose there is some macho “I’m better than you” allure, but a lot of the keys to winning basketball — passing skills, game recognition, help defense — go out the window in one-on-one. So what’s the big deal with being that great at it? Aside feeding your ego, Kobe.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 10
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 19
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14