Jan 17, 2013, 8:30 PM EST
The fans have done their job — you all picked the NBA All-Star Game starters.
And well done. While I could quibble with a choice I might have made differently, there are no egregious errors (read: Jeremy Lin is not a starter).
Now it falls to the coaches to pick the seven reserves for each side (coaches vote for players from their own conference and not from their own team). Those will be announced next week.
We’re not that patient here at PBT. So, here is my list of the guys that should be packing their Nikes/Adidas for Houston to be All-Star Game reserves:
Stephen Curry was the hardest guy to leave off this list. It came down to him and Tony Parker (to me Harden and Westbrook were locks) and Parker is carrying a little bit more of the Spurs offense, and the Spurs are a better team than Golden State. So Parker gets the nod. I also wish I could have gotten Zach Randolph in there because Memphis deserves a guy playing, but I couldn’t put him in front of any of the other four big men. I think Aldridge and Ibaka are just playing a little bit better right now.
Anderson Varejao would have made the list before his injury. Brook Lopez was hard to leave off because I think he deserved a nod in a lot of ways for the improvement in his game, but was he better than Chandler or Noah? No. Leaving Josh Smith off the list was hard as well, he has been Atlanta’s best player, but I just couldn’t give him the nod.
Monta Ellis is certainly having a good season, he was on the bubble for me but he’s not the most efficient player and I think Holiday has had to do more to carry the load. J.R. Smith the same way, good season but just missing out on making the team because some other guys deserve it a little more — I can’t get him in ahead of George or Pierce in my mind.
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 8
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 5
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 25
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 13
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (50)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)