These guys should be the NBA All-Star Game reserves

Jan 17, 2013, 8:30 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder's Westbrook drives by San Antonio Spurs' Parker during the second half of Game 6 of the NBA Western Conference basketball finals in Oklahoma City Reuters

The fans have done their job — you all picked the NBA All-Star Game starters.

And well done. While I could quibble with a choice I might have made differently, there are no egregious errors (read: Jeremy Lin is not a starter).

Now it falls to the coaches to pick the seven reserves for each side (coaches vote for players from their own conference and not from their own team). Those will be announced next week.

We’re not that patient here at PBT. So, here is my list of the guys that should be packing their Nikes/Adidas for Houston to be All-Star Game reserves:

WESTERN CONFERENCE:

Russell Westbrook
Tony Parker
James Harden
Tim Duncan
LaMarcus Aldridge
Serge Ibaka
David Lee

Stephen Curry was the hardest guy to leave off this list. It came down to him and Tony Parker (to me Harden and Westbrook were locks) and Parker is carrying a little bit more of the Spurs offense, and the Spurs are a better team than Golden State. So Parker gets the nod. I also wish I could have gotten Zach Randolph in there because Memphis deserves a guy playing, but I couldn’t put him in front of any of the other four big men. I think Aldridge and Ibaka are just playing a little bit better right now.

EASTERN CONFERENCE:

Kyrie Irving
Jrue Holiday
Paul Pierce
Paul George
Chris Bosh
Joakim Noah
Tyson Chandler

Anderson Varejao would have made the list before his injury. Brook Lopez was hard to leave off because I think he deserved a nod in a lot of ways for the improvement in his game, but was he better than Chandler or Noah? No. Leaving Josh Smith off the list was hard as well, he has been Atlanta’s best player, but I just couldn’t give him the nod.

Monta Ellis is certainly having a good season, he was on the bubble for me but he’s not the most efficient player and I think Holiday has had to do more to carry the load. J.R. Smith the same way, good season but just missing out on making the team because some other guys deserve it a little more — I can’t get him in ahead of George or Pierce in my mind.

1. goraidersgospurs - Jan 17, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I agree (Kurt) good picks!!!

• kavika6 - Jan 18, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Me too, minus Chandler.

2. viccao - Jan 17, 2013 at 8:52 PM

as a Bulls fan who loves to call out Boozer for sucking in his 3 years in Chi-Town, I hate to say it but he should be on the All Star team. The guy leads the East in Double doubles and is 5th overall.

3. zeechball - Jan 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM

How you can have ibaka over z Bo and bosh over boozer is beyond me both should be starting

4. 00maltliquor - Jan 17, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Hmmmm….no arguments here. Seems pretty legit Kurt. Although I would do Randolph over Ibaka. But it’s not a crime to go Ibaka.

5. newyorkfootballjets - Jan 17, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I think its ridiculous to have 3 guys make it from the same team . Ibaka does not belong and if he does westbrook has to go

6. dacapt704 - Jan 17, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Zach Randolph > David Lee and

we all know Marc Gasol shld be the starting C in the West over Howard but thats not the issue here..

Otherwise I agree with this list..

• mytthor - Jan 17, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Howard is averaging 17.8 points, 12.6 rebounds, and 2.6 blocks. 20.53 PER. Gasol is averaging 13.2, 7.4, and 1.8. 18.98 PER. In what world should he be starting over Howard?

• savvybynature - Jan 18, 2013 at 12:36 AM

That world is called Tennessee.

Tim Duncan should probably be the starter, but Howard would be my #2 so I have no problem with it.

Gasol isn’t even in the conversation of all-star starter, though he has played well this year.

7. dalucks - Jan 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

The Thunder are good but they do not deserve 3 All Stars. That is about as ridiculous as the 11th place Lakers have 2 all star starters. I mean if the Lakers did not have Kobe and Dwight they would be in the lottery, wait they already are.
    Zach Randolph should be an All Star since the Grizzles are a top 4 team the west. I guess Zach has to debow Ibaka for people to understand.

8. saint1997 - Jan 17, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I would pick JR over Pierce but otherwise I’m happy

• zeechball - Jan 18, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Jr Smith sucks. Under 35% From 3. 41% from field is bad for a guard. he has a solid ppg because he chucks up 20+ shots a game he isn’t worthy

• kinggw - Jan 18, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Smith does not suck. He’s improved his D, has picked up the scoring when Carmelo didnt play, hit some big game winners and would be a valid pick in my book.

41% isn’t great but Pierce isnt much better at 43% and he averages 17 on 15 shots a game not 20+. I might not put Smith in over Deng, but I think he definitely deserves the nod over Pierce.

• saint1997 - Jan 18, 2013 at 2:12 AM

kinggw hit the nail on the head

9. money2long - Jan 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM

i am not too sure the coaches will put the 2nd yr guard irving in the game seeing as how his team is struggling for wins. coaches really look at team efficiency when making their selections. would i be surprised if he makes the team? absolutely not.

10. 00maltliquor - Jan 17, 2013 at 10:15 PM

You know what…All-Stars should be All-Stars. Players that actually put up #s and are premier players. IDGAF about what their record is, to an extent. If a team has 3 all-stars, so be it. Hell, the Thunders record even would cooperate with that kind of selection. Marc Gasol over Dwight Howard…WHAAAT? Look, I’m not the biggest Dwight fan, even though he is on my team, but 17.8 and 12.6>>>>>>>>13.2 and 7.4. D12 eats M. Gasol ALIVE.

Now a team like the Pacers, they have no true All-Star, but they’re record says they should have someone…I’ll let Paul George slide. He…scratch that….the Pacers deserve it. He isn’t quite a TRUE All-Star yet, but I’ll make an exception.

A lot of you guy up there complaing about multi-player/team representitives and weaker players playing on a good team not making it over players beasting out on not-so-good teams are rediculous, for the most part.

• 00maltliquor - Jan 17, 2013 at 10:17 PM

And hells YESSS, Kyrie Irving should be an All-Star! GAF about his teams record! And I HATE the Cavs!!!

• srgpsycho - Jan 19, 2013 at 5:06 AM

I want to see competitive basketball play not a circus act. If I wanted to go to the circus I would. In the true days of competition the all star game was made up of individuals who wished to win the game & these days you might as well watch the commercials as they’re about as entertaining as the game is.

• 00maltliquor - Jan 19, 2013 at 1:25 PM

IT’S THE FREAKIN’ ALL-STAR GAME! There IS NO competitive basketball! At least untill the 4th qtr. All-Star game needs STARS, not glorified role players. You wanna watch competition then watch golf or tennis then until the NBA playoffs begin.

11. butterfacesareok - Jan 17, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Wheres boozer???

12. ksyeszir - Jan 17, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Paul pierce should not get in. Boston at only 2 games above .500 should not have 3 guys in the game. Fans chose rondo (who deserves it) and Garnett then that’s all they should get. Deng should take pierces spot since he has the numbers and the bulls have the record to support 2 all stars, Noah and deng. I hate the fan vote! It keeps so many deserving players out of the game just because they don’t play in Boston or la

13. mrobinson14 - Jan 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM

KYRIE!!!!!!!!!! LEHGO CAVS!!!!!!!!!!

14. Kansachusetts - Jan 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Maybe the other cities should get some fans.

15. fballlvr22 - Jan 17, 2013 at 11:45 PM

LUOL DENG ANYONE????

16. rpacifico - Jan 17, 2013 at 11:51 PM

LOL Paul Pierce! Good one, Kurt! Paul George has been playing the 3. He should be a reserve over Pierce and JR Smith should be the last guard on the roster.

17. jimsjam33 - Jan 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM

The best 6th man in the NBA is ” Point a Minute ” Jamal Crawford who can play PG or SG ; therefore , Alas and Alack … , Chris Paul and Westbrook can handle the point guard positions and Bryant and Crawford the 2 position . Unfortunately , Parker is the odd man out !

• savvybynature - Jan 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM

You know what the starters in the league call the best backup player in the league?

A backup.

18. sportsnut101 - Jan 18, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Stephan curry should be in. He’s having a great season n warriors are winning.

Please coaches don’t vote pierce in. His team is barely above 500 n deng is having better season then him.

N pls nomore 3 miami heat 3 pt shooters like last yr what a joke. Wanna see Novak this yr in it

Garnett shouldn’t be in game

19. fanz928 - Jan 18, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Curry over duncan

20. dko83 - Jan 18, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Not sure about that Bosh pick.. 18 and 7 for him.. Not terrible, but.. he’s Chris Bosh. While I’m on the topic, Dwayne Wade as a starter makes me cry tears of blood. Take away fan voting next year, give all the power to the coaches/players. Don’t care if it is a weekend “for the fans.”

21. paleihe - Jan 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Seriously, how do you leave Josh Smith off the list? I’m not even a Hawks fan, but to leave him off the list is nuts.

22. mannchise - Jan 18, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Take out Serge for Zach in the WEST. And replace Pierce and Bosh with Josh Smith and J.R. Smith in the EAST.

23. srgpsycho - Jan 19, 2013 at 5:22 AM

Take the players who have earned their spot. I’m tired of this popularity contest. Reward people to the all star game for performance not show. It’s getting to the point that I really don’t want to view the game. Who wants to watch it? I get more entertainment value from the dudes at halftime during a regular season who do the springboard dunks. The NBA all star game now reminds me of a “WWF” match.

David Lee should get the nod. Whether you like him or not anyone leading the league in 20/10 games deserves a nod regardless. LeBron’s 2nd at 13 but Lee w/16 games of this action needs to shine w/the best. Yes GS is struggling w/the injury bug now w/Curry sidelined yet this shows Lee’s true value to GS & the league. Of course send LeBron,Carmello,Kevin & other superstars but don’t forget what playing basketball & competition is about. If you like that showtime stuff go to the Slam Dunk competition otherwise lets play basketball. At least something that resembles basketball as the last few all star games I’ve viewed stunk.

24. millerhour - Jan 19, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Garnett over Noah is a joke.

25. rysops - Jan 19, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Bosh and Chandler over Brook Lopez? Dude is the best player on a team 3 games out of first and leads all centers in scoring and player efficiency rating. You clearly haven’t thought this through enough.

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches