Jan 17, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
You can throw a couple more teams into the “we’re interested” file for Greg Oden.
As we told you recently, Oden is taking classes at Ohio State and working out and rehabbing to attempt one more NBA comeback. This is a long shot — he has already had three microfracture surgeries on his knees. And seven total surgeries. At age 24.
But if he does teams like the Heat and Mavericks are reportedly interested (although who has spoken to his agent and how serious they are remains up for debate). You can also add the San Antonio Spurs and Cleveland Cavaliers to the mix, reports Ken Berger at CBSSports.com.
Part of Oden’s plan is to sign with a team in the next month and get into a training and conditioning program with an eye toward returning to the floor next season. The Celtics are among the teams monitoring Oden’s progress, and sources tell CBSSports.com’s Jeff Goodman that the Spurs and Cavaliers have expressed interest, too.
If you are saying “why would you sign this guy?” you need to look around the league at the dearth of quality big men. Oden is never going to live up to the No. 1 pick potential, but if you could get him at a good price to give you 15 minutes a night off the bench, a whole lot of teams could use that.
Look at the teams going after him — Spurs, Celtics, Heat. These are some of he NBA’s smart, well run teams.
Teams want to sign Oden and get him before another team grabs him. He can work out with them all summer and then they can make a run at it next season. Hence the desire on both sides to get it done now.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 0
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 26
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16