Oh no, not again: Curry out indefinitely with sprained ankle

Jan 17, 2013, 10:38 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

With most players you would just shrug this news off — Stephen Curry rolled his ankle during shootaround, reports CSNBayArea.com. He did it when he landed on the foot of rookie Festus Ezeli.

But with Curry, who has had multiple ankle surgeries and missed considerable time last season with ankle issues, it has Warriors saying “oh no, not again.”

Curry sat out the Warriors getting mauled by the Miami Heat, but the question now is how long will he be out? The good news is X-rays were negative but there is no timetable for his return and you can bet the Warriors will be cautious. Curry tried to be optimistic, reports the San Jose Mercury News:

“I haven’t had a sprain in two-and-a-half months, so my ligaments are as probably the healthiest they’ve been,” Curry said. “Just have to wait and see how they recover. “

“I haven’t been in this situation for a while. I don’t know if it will be a fast or slow kind of deal just because after two surgeries and all that process, it finally had the time to cool down. So we’ll see tomorrow.”

Coach Mark Jackson said he didn’t think it would be bad but added that Curry would be 100 percent before he was sent back out on the floor.

Curry was having his best season as a pro, averaging 20.2 points and 6.6 assists per game, with a PER of 19.2. He is in the running for one of the All-Star Game reserve spots in the West.

Jarrett Jack will move into the starting role at the point. That hurts the Warriors bench depth — Jack had some big games going against other teams bench players.

1. smoochytherhino - Jan 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM

This news sucks. I really like watching Curry play and I feel for him. Same goes for Brandon Roy, they just can’t stay healthy. I imagine they play in considerable pain even when they are on the court.

• saint1997 - Jan 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Curry, Roy, T-Mac, Stoudemire, Ming. Imagine that starting 5

2. money2long - Jan 17, 2013 at 11:21 AM

question, what flavor do you guys think curry’s ankles are? spicy nacho or cool ranch ?

• dacapt704 - Jan 17, 2013 at 1:24 PM

why all the thumbs down? I thought this was funny..I watched Steph grow up right here in Charlotte so I got luv for the kid but his ankles DO tend to be a bit weak

3. themagicfanguy - Jan 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Glass.

4. 00maltliquor - Jan 17, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Not to be d!c-k or anything but……seriously, I can’t believe his ankles held up THIS long. I was wondering when this was inevitably gonna happen again this season.

Sucks especially since the Warriors were finally looking like they could make the playoffs this season and were on the rise as a feel good surprise team this year. But a foundation built on Curry and Bogut is like a foundation built on Brandon Roy and Greg Oden (oh snap, that actually happend, huh!? Wooooow lol).

• money2long - Jan 17, 2013 at 12:47 PM

good one man

5. jimmygrahamchrisivory - Jan 17, 2013 at 12:26 PM

And just like that, down goes Golden State. which it’s unfortunate cuz I really wanted to see them succeed with so much young talent throughout their lineup. They just can’t shake the injury bug there with both Curry and Bogut’s recurring injuries

6. moseskkim - Jan 17, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I wouldn’t be so quick to damn the warriors. They have great chemistry and more depth than they’ve had in many years. Jack is a capable quality starter and as long as curry can come back later this season, warriors are still in the playoffs in my opinion.

7. eugenesaxe - Jan 17, 2013 at 4:31 PM

“I haven’t had a sprain in two-and-a-half months”
    Are we supposed to be impressed by that?

8. abchome - Jan 17, 2013 at 4:38 PM

At least Curry did step on someone’s foot, rather than simply driving without contact like he did several times last year.

9. deadunicorn - Jan 17, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Good for Oakland fans!! Screw SF

10. daddyghi - Jan 17, 2013 at 5:10 PM

this is the kind of break that the lakers and the mavs needs…

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches