Jan 17, 2013, 11:05 PM EST
Minnesota needs some depth along the front line — Kevin Love had hand surgery this week and is out at least two more months, and also out injured are Chase Budinger, Brandon Roy, Josh Howard and Malcolm Lee.
So Minnesota reached overseas and signed French national Mickael Gelabale, reports the Associated Press. He is expected to join the team Friday.
Unless you watch a lot of Spanish league ball (he had been playing for Valencia), you most recently may have seen Gelabale playing for France in the London Olympics (and looking pretty good doing it.
Gelabale played a couple seasons for the Sonics, most recently back in 2008.
Minnesota is hoping he can step in and fill the role they hoped Howard would, as a small forward with a little punch off the bench. Gelabale came to the NBA with potential but never really developed — four years getting a lot of burn in Europe seemed to change that, from what I saw during the Olympics (admittedly, a small sample size). This could be a good move for the Timberwolves, but it’s not some dramatic game changer.
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 0
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 1
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 10
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 30
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6