Mavs coach says he yelled at O.J. Mayo at halftime

Jan 17, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT

Rick Carlisle, O.J. Mayo AP

O.J. Mayo was back to being his inefficient self on Wednesday — he had 18 points in Dallas’s win over Houston, but he did it on 3-of-14 shooting.

And Rick Carlisle let him hear about it at half, reports the Dallas Morning News (via SLAM).

After Dallas’ 105-100 victory over Houston, Carlisle was asked Mayo’s all-around performance, despite 3-of-14 shooting, was a sign that Mayo is learning to contribute in multiple ways.

“It’ll be a bigger sign when I don’t have to scream at him at halftime about it,” Carlisle said….

“I thought in the first half, he took some shots that were ill-advised, when he is becoming a very good play-maker and a very good all-around basketball player. I’m sorry, it’s beneath me to watch a guy continue to veer off from the path that’s best for him and our team.”

I love that response — “it’s beneath me” to watch him take bad shots.

Did it work? Mayo was 3-of-9 shooting for 12 points in the first half, 0-of-5 shooting in the second half with six points (all from the free throw line). He also had fewer assists and rebounds in the second half.

Mayo has a $4.2 million player option for next season. He can test the market or return to the Mavericks for that price.

1. unxpexted1 - Jan 17, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Minus his horris shooting night (james harden had even worse of a night), Mayo has been playing really well for the mavericks. But i do feel a level of discomfort in his game sense Dirk got back in the starting lineup.

2. bmoreballer023 - Jan 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Give it time he and Dirk have to get to know each other. It might take awhile but I think everything will work out. Just don’t expect anything

3. 00maltliquor - Jan 17, 2013 at 12:15 PM

At 4.2 next year and HE has the option……OH YEAH, he’s definatly opting out!

4. fanofevilempire - Jan 17, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Cuban has turned Dallas into a mess, he will bounce on that 4.2 mil op.

5. dabceb - Jan 17, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I love… oops I mean I hate to see media writers spewing bad press, but Kurt’s blurb tells only the negative points… Reading his write-up versus ESPN-Dallas’ summary on Mayo, I see why some media writers are frowned upon.

From ESPN-Dallas… “Mayo missed 11 of 14 shots from the floor Wednesday night, but he still stuffed the box score with 18 points, eight assists, six rebounds, two steals and one blocked shot in the Mavs’ 105-100 win over the Houston Rockets.”

ESPN writer used a more positive spin on his article. Kurt’s….???

• Kurt Helin - Jan 17, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I can picture how that presser went down: The writer already has in mind his “Mayo stuff box score despite poor shooting night” story underway, asks Carlisle a question to get a quote for it, and Carlisle basically says I had to yell at him to get him anywhere near it. I’ll stand by what I wrote, I watched a chunk of that game.

6. smoochytherhino - Jan 17, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I actually think Dallas has a pretty decent team. They desperately miss Chandler but they are starting to come together and play well as a unit. Then again by the time they do the season will be over and three quarters of the team will be gone.

It was always gonna be this way this year for the Mavs. I think Carlisle is doing a great job with this team except I don’t know what his problem is Brandon Wright. He is their only athletic big man and he gets no playing time at all even when he’s healthy. He’s not great but he looks superhuman next to Kamen.

7. tigershark49 - Jan 17, 2013 at 3:45 PM

OJ is a good player. Just needs to stay within the gameplan.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches