Jan 17, 2013, 7:26 PM EST
This is what the Knicks needed — a little vacation, a little rest, a chance to catch their breath and get a little healthy in the middle of the season.
Oh, and throw in an easy win.
The Knicks went to London technically as the road team but they made themselves at home against the Pistons and cruised to a 102-87 win over the Pistons in the O2 Arena in London.
New York just seemed more comfortable on the big stage at the start. After giving up a couple free throws at the start of the game the Knicks rattled off 16 straight points and were up 16-2 before half of London found it’s seat. Anthony was off to fast start with 18 first half points, Stoudemire had 12, and J.R. Smith added 10.
The Knicks shot 50 percent for the first half, the Pistons shot 42.9 percent. The only Piston looking really good in the first half was Andre Drummond with nine points, five rebounds and two blocks.
Maybe the best part of this game for the Knicks was the return of Iman Shumpert, who at the start of the third quarter nailed a three, then had a steal that became a fast-break dunk, and that seemed to cement the Knicks win.
Detroit made a run at one point in the second half against the Knicks bench, but you just had a feeling when the starters got back this game would be done. And then Knicks did get some good bench play from Amare Stoudemire, who had 17 points.
It wasn’t a perfect game for New York — 16 turnovers, 44 points allowed in the paint — but they looked a little fresher, a little healthier and they took care of business against a lesser opponent. They are now 25-13 on the season and have a few more days off. That’s a good mid-season vacation.
- Thursday night NBA grades: Any more questions for LaMarcus Aldridge? Didn’t think so. 0
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 9
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 20
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 35
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (63)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)