Jan 17, 2013, 1:46 AM EDT
There may never have been an NBA player with more physical gifts than LeBron James. He is the size of Karl Malone, he is strong, but he has the quickness of an elite point guard. He has touch and he has that innate court vision and sense of the game that only some of the elite guards in the game have seemed to possess.
So, it really shouldn’t be a shock he was the youngest NBA player to 20,000 points with the shot above. He passes Kobe Bryant, who got point 20K at 29 years, 122 days old. LeBron did it at 28 years, 17 days.
LeBron also had the advantage of being on teams for years in Cleveland that needed him to score big to have a chance. (Advantage when trying to rack up points, not advantage if you wanted to win titles.) He obliged and put up some huge scoring numbers. It took a move out of his home town and some hard knocks for his mistakes for him to mature enough to lead a team to the title. That and better talent around him.
If you think this record will stand forever, I’d like you to meet Kevin Durant, who has more than 11,000 points at age 24.
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 0
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 5
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million