Kobe Bryant says he is the best one-on-one player ever

Jan 17, 2013, 2:59 PM EDT

Kobe Bryant Tracy McGrady Getty Images

Kobe Bryant circa 2013 is a lot more mature person than Kobe Bryant circa 1997. As you would expect. He’s been through the battles, he’s calm under pressure, he picks his spots better.

But don’t challenge him. Like to a game of one-on-one.

That’s the sense you take away from a great Q&A by Steve Palmer at ESPN. Good stuff where you learn Kobe loved “Django” and hates dog… poop. We’ll go with poop on a family site.

But the best part was when Palmer started asking about playing guys one-on-one and Kobe gave a series of great answers.

• On if he could beat Michael Jordan: “I’m not sure, but he would win some and I would win some in a seven-game series. It would probably come down to the last few shots.”

• What about beating LeBron? “LeBron is a terrific all-around, five-on-five basketball player who’s an all-time great. But I’d get him… LeBron is a terrific all-around, five-on-five basketball player who’s an all-time great. But I’d get him.”

• Who would give him trouble one-on-one? Kevin Durant is the guy that would give me the most trouble. With his length and ability to use the dribble, he’d be tough.”

• What about Tracy McGrady? “I played T-Mac. I cooked him. Roasted him. Wasn’t even close. Ask him, he’ll tell you. When I was about 20, we were in Germany doing some promotional stuff for that other sneaker company and we played basketball every day. We were in the gym all the time. We played three games of one-on-one to 11. I won all three games. One game I won 11-2. After the third game he said he had back spasms and couldn’t play anymore.”

As Chris Ballard of Sports Illustrated said on twitter, if you think Kobe never lost a game of one-on-one, you should ask Brian Shaw about that. As a first and second year player Kobe used to challenge all the veterans and the way I heard the stories he didn’t always win.

Still, the quotes are vintage Kobe. You should go read the entire interview. But this was my favorite part.

1. bucinnj - Jan 17, 2013 at 6:35 PM

maybe he beats Kyrie but no chance he beats Uncle Drew.

2. jimsjam33 - Jan 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I guess he’s never seen Jamal Crawford .

3. southsidegroovin281 - Jan 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Coming from a Houstonian. That sounds like a Tracy McLady excuse. HA! Back spasms…

4. dubblelznhell - Jan 17, 2013 at 10:43 PM

“NBA needs to get its act together and start having a one on one tourney during the all star festivities.” — YES!!

• dko83 - Jan 18, 2013 at 2:45 AM

This needs to happen!

5. paulhargis53 - Jan 17, 2013 at 11:26 PM

another turd that doesnt know the history of the NBA. Uff. color me suprised.

Magic did what he had to do to help his teams win. if they needed points, he scored. Check what he did to the Sixers in a game 6. Playing center while Jabbar was out injured. He was the facilitator on those Showtime teams because Cap, Worthy, Wilkes Scott were the scorers. If he.needed to score, he would. At will.

LeBron is a better all around player than Kobe. Stats.bear that out. To say otherwise is being willfully ignorant.

Ahhh, I’m talking to a Kobe jock sniffer, nevermind, and carry on. Idiot.

6. daddyghi - Jan 18, 2013 at 1:20 AM

wahahaha! and lebron just dropped 39 on the lakers while kobe’s having a hard time shooting against ray allen… ;-p

7. loungefly74 - Jan 18, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Kobe is one of the all time greats. during his prime, he was unstoppable. it’s not far-fetched to think he couldn’t beat anyone one-on-one. i love the ‘tude he brings: brash but cool. his interviews are the best as well. very candid.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches