Jan 16, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Rasheed Wallace has been out a month now with what the team first called a “sore left foot” then later changed that to a “stress reaction” in his left foot. You’ve got to love the Knicks, they can’t even admit it’s a stress fracture when it’s a stress fracture because… who knows why? They’re the Knicks.
So when is ‘Sheed — who gave the Knicks solid minutes off the bench behind Tyson Chandler to start the season — going to come back?
Maybe the better question is will he come back? That’s what some sources told ESPNNewYork.com.
As the uncertainty surrounding Rasheed Wallace’s left foot injury lingers, members of the New York Knicks organization fear Wallace will be out for an extended period, possibly for the entire season, two league sources told ESPNNewYork.com….
“He’ll be back — but when, I don’t know,” Woodson said. “We’re gradually trying to get him back where he can run again so he can get back in a uniform. But when, we don’t know when yet.”
There is clearly some internal difference of opinion in the Knicks front office — you hear rumors they are going to get a replacement big like Kenyon Martin, but then nothing happens. Woodson helped talk Wallace back to the NBA, so he’s not eager to go get another guy.
But this is the risk of the Knicks older bench. Wallace is out for however long Wallace is out, Marcus Camby is out another two weeks at least with plantar fascia and while Amare Stoudemire is back he is not 100 percent.
Right now they aren’t doing anything, but at some point they might need to add some depth along the front line, either by free agent or trade. The Knicks have a full 15-man roster, so to bring in a free agent they would have to cut someone with a guaranteed contract (which means they would still pay him).
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 10
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 19
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14