Jan 16, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Rasheed Wallace has been out a month now with what the team first called a “sore left foot” then later changed that to a “stress reaction” in his left foot. You’ve got to love the Knicks, they can’t even admit it’s a stress fracture when it’s a stress fracture because… who knows why? They’re the Knicks.
So when is ‘Sheed — who gave the Knicks solid minutes off the bench behind Tyson Chandler to start the season — going to come back?
Maybe the better question is will he come back? That’s what some sources told ESPNNewYork.com.
As the uncertainty surrounding Rasheed Wallace’s left foot injury lingers, members of the New York Knicks organization fear Wallace will be out for an extended period, possibly for the entire season, two league sources told ESPNNewYork.com….
“He’ll be back — but when, I don’t know,” Woodson said. “We’re gradually trying to get him back where he can run again so he can get back in a uniform. But when, we don’t know when yet.”
There is clearly some internal difference of opinion in the Knicks front office — you hear rumors they are going to get a replacement big like Kenyon Martin, but then nothing happens. Woodson helped talk Wallace back to the NBA, so he’s not eager to go get another guy.
But this is the risk of the Knicks older bench. Wallace is out for however long Wallace is out, Marcus Camby is out another two weeks at least with plantar fascia and while Amare Stoudemire is back he is not 100 percent.
Right now they aren’t doing anything, but at some point they might need to add some depth along the front line, either by free agent or trade. The Knicks have a full 15-man roster, so to bring in a free agent they would have to cut someone with a guaranteed contract (which means they would still pay him).
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 10
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 9
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 39
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 33
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 10