Jan 16, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
The NBA made a wise decision regarding concussions — if you want to play after one you have to be cleared by a league neurologist, not the team doctor. If you want to know why that is a good idea, why not ask the team doctors that cleared Robert Griffin III and Rob Gronkowski to play in the NFL playoffs.
But Gasol went through 3-on-3 drills on Wednesday and said he was “optimistic” he would be cleared to play of Thursday night when the Lakers host the Miami Heat, the team reports.
And he could come off the bench, adds Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News.
Pau Gasol said he & coaching staff has talked about him coming off the bench to phase him back in the lineup
— Mark Medina (@MedinaLakersNBA) January 16, 2013
I think Mike D’Antoni likes the idea of having Earl Clark stay in the starting lineup and having Gasol come off the bench to sub out Dwight Howard or Metta World Peace, depending on what matchups dictate. But for it to fly in the locker room it has to be Gasol’s idea — Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash are still Gasol backers. So you say it’s temporary and if it goes well it’s something Gasol would suggest. He’s a team player.
But whether he starts or comes off the bench long term, Gasol will be back soon. And he has to find a way to fit and produce while trade rumors swirl around him. That is another in the long line of challenges the Lakers must deal with to keep their playoffs hopes alive.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 11
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 16
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 20
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2