Jan 16, 2013, 4:23 PM EST
The NBA made a wise decision regarding concussions — if you want to play after one you have to be cleared by a league neurologist, not the team doctor. If you want to know why that is a good idea, why not ask the team doctors that cleared Robert Griffin III and Rob Gronkowski to play in the NFL playoffs.
But Gasol went through 3-on-3 drills on Wednesday and said he was “optimistic” he would be cleared to play of Thursday night when the Lakers host the Miami Heat, the team reports.
And he could come off the bench, adds Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News.
Pau Gasol said he & coaching staff has talked about him coming off the bench to phase him back in the lineup
— Mark Medina (@MedinaLakersNBA) January 16, 2013
I think Mike D’Antoni likes the idea of having Earl Clark stay in the starting lineup and having Gasol come off the bench to sub out Dwight Howard or Metta World Peace, depending on what matchups dictate. But for it to fly in the locker room it has to be Gasol’s idea — Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash are still Gasol backers. So you say it’s temporary and if it goes well it’s something Gasol would suggest. He’s a team player.
But whether he starts or comes off the bench long term, Gasol will be back soon. And he has to find a way to fit and produce while trade rumors swirl around him. That is another in the long line of challenges the Lakers must deal with to keep their playoffs hopes alive.
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 0
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 4
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 11
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 6
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 30
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (46)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)