Jan 16, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
The NBA made a wise decision regarding concussions — if you want to play after one you have to be cleared by a league neurologist, not the team doctor. If you want to know why that is a good idea, why not ask the team doctors that cleared Robert Griffin III and Rob Gronkowski to play in the NFL playoffs.
But Gasol went through 3-on-3 drills on Wednesday and said he was “optimistic” he would be cleared to play of Thursday night when the Lakers host the Miami Heat, the team reports.
And he could come off the bench, adds Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News.
Pau Gasol said he & coaching staff has talked about him coming off the bench to phase him back in the lineup
— Mark Medina (@MedinaLakersNBA) January 16, 2013
I think Mike D’Antoni likes the idea of having Earl Clark stay in the starting lineup and having Gasol come off the bench to sub out Dwight Howard or Metta World Peace, depending on what matchups dictate. But for it to fly in the locker room it has to be Gasol’s idea — Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash are still Gasol backers. So you say it’s temporary and if it goes well it’s something Gasol would suggest. He’s a team player.
But whether he starts or comes off the bench long term, Gasol will be back soon. And he has to find a way to fit and produce while trade rumors swirl around him. That is another in the long line of challenges the Lakers must deal with to keep their playoffs hopes alive.
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 10
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 7
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 10
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 7
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 42
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4