Josh Smith frustrated, suspended. Does that mean he’s on trade block?

Jan 16, 2013, 8:35 PM EST

Utah Jazz v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

There was a lot of frustration around the Atlanta Hawks Tuesday — the team had lost seven of their last nine games, their defense had been terrible and their offense had followed suit the last couple games.

That frustration bubbled over in practice Tuesday, when Josh Smith was thrown out of practice and later suspended for Wednesday’s game against the Nets.

All that led to Smith’s agent flying out to speak to the Hawks on Wednesday, reports Ken Berger of CBSSports.com. There has been buzz before that Smith wanted out of Atlanta, but his agent said he didn’t demand a trade. Of course, if there was one…

“As far as moving forward and whatever changes will be made, that’s more so management’s job to field those calls and make the decisions they feel like are best to move forward,” Smith’s agent, Wallace Prather, told CBSSports.com….

“I do know there are teams interested,” Prather said….

Multiple rival executives confirmed that the Hawks have participated in trade conversations with several teams regarding Smith, a 27-year-old game-changing defender when engaged

There was always going to be a lot of Smith trade talk because he is a quality big man in the last year of his contract. Hawks GM Danny Ferry is clearly looking to shake things up rather than keep Atlanta’s middle-of-the-road roster together, so you know he’ll be listening to offers.

That said, any team trading for him certainly would want to re-sign him this summer and might be hesitant to make a deal if they didn’t have some assurance they could likely keep him.

For teams like Dallas, getting Smith might make sense. They want an elite player to pair with Dirk Nowitizki now and this summer’s big name free agents — Chris Paul, Dwight Howard — are not likely to be on the move. Trading for then re-signing Smith could be the kind of big move they need. Same with teams like Houston or Milwaukee.

The question is do they think Smith is really good enough to be that guy and would he be worth what they have to pay in a new contract? At age 27 he is entering what should be the prime of his career, he is averaging 16.7 points and 8.4 rebound a game. What is he worth?

We’ll find out because you can bet there is a lot of Josh Smith trade talk to come soon.

1. rj2323 - Jan 16, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Alright lakers lets get em

• BigBeachBall - Jan 16, 2013 at 11:58 PM

dantoni can barely handle 4 ego’s… you want to make that 5? Lakers should target tony allen imo
      he is a better defender, has a championship experience, cheaper and doesn’t need as many touches…

• nbascreed - Jan 17, 2013 at 5:35 AM

I actually believe a guy like Smith could flourish with the Lakers…as a clear number 3 or 4 option he wouldn’t feel compelled to try and be the man. Additionally, his athleticism and scoring ability (he’s competent from various spots on the floor) would be a plus in D’antoni’s offense.

ktgotgame.com

2. bobulated - Jan 16, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I want the Lakers to get Smith just to see Kobe go ballistic not only the first time, but the each and every one of the next 50 times Josh hoists up one of his infamous long ranged jumpers with 10 seconds left on the shot clock.

3. midwaymonster161 - Jan 16, 2013 at 9:26 PM

The Hawks have been a mediocre mess for years now. Time to blow that team up.

4. bigwii - Jan 16, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Lol the Lakers have no shot to get him they don’t have anyone valuable enough to give up to get him besides Dwight or Kobe and they’re not doing that obviously no one wants Pau Gasol he is old doesn’t play d and has a bad contract that’s what I don’t get about you Laker fans you always think you can rip people off to get star players for nothing the fact is they have no one to near good enough to give up for Smith the truth about it is they have an aging roster of guys that are shells of their former selfs the Hawks or any team just isn’t that dumb to trade one of their better players to L.A. just because its the Lakers they have to wait until free agency and with no draft picks and a lot of bad contracts they’re pretty strapped there too the only way they’ll get a player like Smith is if Stern gets involved if the Hawks trade Smith it will be to a team that can give them something back they’ll want not Pau’s 19 million dollar contract they want cap space picks and prospects the Lakers can’t offer them any if that if they trade him he will go to a team like Houston or Boston that can actually offer them a descent package

• 00maltliquor - Jan 17, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Do you guys have a freakin’ manual on what to say about how the Lakers can’t get a player in a trade and plagerize the crap out of it??

I swear, it’s the same ole’ talk, recycled, re-hashed, stale talk. I feel like I’ve read what you said, word-for-word from at least a dozen of you jacks on here.

I mean, I somewhat agree with you but does it really have to be said anymore?

Plus, it really wouldn’t be far fetched (although it would NOT happen), we’ve seen Kwame Brown turn into Pau Gasol and Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom turn into CP3 (before Dictator Stern pumped the brakes), and even to a lesser extent seen us trade the 2nd best C for the best C. I mean, we HAVE been known to turn water into wine.

• progress2011 - Jan 17, 2013 at 9:49 PM

YES …..SIZZ- URP….Colt 45 !!!!

We DO have to repeat the “FACTS” for FAKERS !!!

Which is one of the reasons why the rest of world refer to your type as FAKERS !!!

You live in an alternate reality…a FAKE universe.

No doubt…you and other fakers think you can turn Boones Farm into Moet !!!

5. cameltoehoe - Jan 16, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I’ll trade him for some Nacho Cheese Cornnuts & a can of Jolt Cola.

6. fruitcovejag - Jan 16, 2013 at 11:26 PM

D. Wade for J. Smith straight up. One malcontent for another. Both teams get better.

• soflasfinest - Jan 17, 2013 at 12:25 AM

I really hope you’re high as hell right now. That’s your only legit excuse for that ridiculous comment.

7. e39er - Jan 17, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Goddamn bigwii nothing but run on sentences, where did you learn how to type in English? Behind a cereal box? It’s true that the Lakers always find somebody to trade for, Lakers don’t rebuild they just reload, you guys might think no GMs are interested but you don’t know what their thinking, just because Gasol isn’t playing well doesn’t mean he’s not good, he’s basically a center and D’Antoni is making him shoot 3′s, if you utilize Gasol he is still effective…..more effective than Smith chuckin his long twos

8. bigwii - Jan 17, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I know how to write sentences I was on my phone so I got lazy. I noticed I was doing it I just didn’t care. The Lakers do rip people off and they do reload not rebuild but I just see mathematically how they do it. I know a little bit about this because I’m a sports management major and we’ve been talking about sports financing and the Lakers were a subject we discussed in class. The Lakers have a big uphill battle I’m not ragging in them I just hear all these laker fans talk about how there going to get all these great players who have big contracts for older guys with even bigger contracts; if you look at what there committed to the next few years they’re going to have to pull something ridiculous off. No GM that wants to keep his job would trade a J Smith for Pau, especially if Ferry is trying to position himself with a lot of cap space for the summer. He’s said he’s doing this yeah Smith wants out so I think Houston would be where he’s look to make a deal to get younger and get expiring contracts. It makes no sense for him to trade for Pau. The Lakers have a lot to do this season to position themselves to sign big free agents in 2014. To make a run at LBJ or something. It’s just unrealistic that they so anything like that at the deadline. They might get some role players some how, but not any stars. You laker fans can hang up on me all you want just because someone says something negative doesn’t mean you all have to hang up on that person I see it all the time on here. I’m not saying I know everything or anything like that I’m just being realistic

• 00maltliquor - Jan 17, 2013 at 12:09 PM

AH HAA!! So there IS a manual, or a schoolbook you guys read from to hate on the Lakers and discuss in a classroom setting! I KNEW it!
      LOL

9. eventhorizon04 - Jan 17, 2013 at 3:21 AM

I could see Dallas going for it. The whole, “Bank of Cuban” thing being open and all…

Dirk + Josh Smith would be a very good pair of forwards. It would allow Carlisle to be creative and “go small” with Smith at the 4 and Dirk at the 5 this season whenever they need to put more points on the board.

I also think it helps the Mavericks attract big free agents (in theory, a guy like Dwight Howard, though I still think Howard stays with the Lakers after this season unless they miss the playoffs).

Should be an interesting situation to watch.

10. louhudson23 - Jan 17, 2013 at 5:39 AM

I think the “when he’s engaged” part speaks volumes…..Smith loafs,pouts and does stupid things far too often….whatever flashes of talent and effort he manages to display in the interim are more than offset by his negativity….

11. jason7498 - Jan 17, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Pau’s nose for Josh’s ego straight up

12. mannyicey - Jan 17, 2013 at 9:05 AM

People crack my up regarding Josh Smith getting traded. He’s been rumored to be on the trading block since 2008, ever since Josh Childress left and went to play in Europe. Josh Smith is still in Atlanta, after 5 years.

So I would be surprised if he ever leaves.

13. rushbacker - Jan 18, 2013 at 2:58 AM

LMAO! Laker fans are such ridiculous spoiled brats. You’ve barely played with your new toys Nash and Howard, and already you’re whining for more. . .

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches