Jan 16, 2013, 8:35 PM EDT
There was a lot of frustration around the Atlanta Hawks Tuesday — the team had lost seven of their last nine games, their defense had been terrible and their offense had followed suit the last couple games.
That frustration bubbled over in practice Tuesday, when Josh Smith was thrown out of practice and later suspended for Wednesday’s game against the Nets.
All that led to Smith’s agent flying out to speak to the Hawks on Wednesday, reports Ken Berger of CBSSports.com. There has been buzz before that Smith wanted out of Atlanta, but his agent said he didn’t demand a trade. Of course, if there was one…
“As far as moving forward and whatever changes will be made, that’s more so management’s job to field those calls and make the decisions they feel like are best to move forward,” Smith’s agent, Wallace Prather, told CBSSports.com….
“I do know there are teams interested,” Prather said….
Multiple rival executives confirmed that the Hawks have participated in trade conversations with several teams regarding Smith, a 27-year-old game-changing defender when engaged
There was always going to be a lot of Smith trade talk because he is a quality big man in the last year of his contract. Hawks GM Danny Ferry is clearly looking to shake things up rather than keep Atlanta’s middle-of-the-road roster together, so you know he’ll be listening to offers.
That said, any team trading for him certainly would want to re-sign him this summer and might be hesitant to make a deal if they didn’t have some assurance they could likely keep him.
For teams like Dallas, getting Smith might make sense. They want an elite player to pair with Dirk Nowitizki now and this summer’s big name free agents — Chris Paul, Dwight Howard — are not likely to be on the move. Trading for then re-signing Smith could be the kind of big move they need. Same with teams like Houston or Milwaukee.
The question is do they think Smith is really good enough to be that guy and would he be worth what they have to pay in a new contract? At age 27 he is entering what should be the prime of his career, he is averaging 16.7 points and 8.4 rebound a game. What is he worth?
We’ll find out because you can bet there is a lot of Josh Smith trade talk to come soon.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47