Jan 16, 2013, 8:33 AM EDT
We told you recently that Danny Ainge had said he didn’t plan to make a move at the trade deadline — Boston with Avery Bradley back is finally starting to defend well again and has won six straight. They are starting to look like the kind of dangerous team their fans expected. You don’t mess with that.
But don’t take my word for it, here is video from the man himself, speaking as part of an exclusive interview with CSNNE.com. More of that interview is to come, but here are the money quotes about making late trades:
“That doesn’t make a lot of sense to radically change the team when you’re trying to compete to win it all,” Ainge told Dickerson. “We have been and will continue to look to upgrade our team, but I think it’s always more unlikely that that happens than likely.”
Would he feel the same way if the Celtics had not gone on this six-game winning streak?
“No, absolutely not,” he said. “You have to produce. It’s my job to look at the bigger picture. We have to live in the moment and try to win and help our team have success, but at the same time if it;s not happening on the court than there has to be changes made, absolutely.”
Ainge (like Celtics fans) is better this run is the real Celtics and not a nugget of mid-season fools gold.
The full interview with Ainge will be up on CSNNE.com later on Wednesday.
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 29
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 3
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 6
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 26
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 9