Jan 16, 2013, 8:33 AM EST
We told you recently that Danny Ainge had said he didn’t plan to make a move at the trade deadline — Boston with Avery Bradley back is finally starting to defend well again and has won six straight. They are starting to look like the kind of dangerous team their fans expected. You don’t mess with that.
But don’t take my word for it, here is video from the man himself, speaking as part of an exclusive interview with CSNNE.com. More of that interview is to come, but here are the money quotes about making late trades:
“That doesn’t make a lot of sense to radically change the team when you’re trying to compete to win it all,” Ainge told Dickerson. “We have been and will continue to look to upgrade our team, but I think it’s always more unlikely that that happens than likely.”
Would he feel the same way if the Celtics had not gone on this six-game winning streak?
“No, absolutely not,” he said. “You have to produce. It’s my job to look at the bigger picture. We have to live in the moment and try to win and help our team have success, but at the same time if it;s not happening on the court than there has to be changes made, absolutely.”
Ainge (like Celtics fans) is better this run is the real Celtics and not a nugget of mid-season fools gold.
The full interview with Ainge will be up on CSNNE.com later on Wednesday.
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 0
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 3
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 10
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13