Jan 16, 2013, 11:31 AM EDT
It has to be both a proud moment and a little bit surreal for Doc Rivers to be looking at the Celtics scouting report for the New Orleans Hornets game Wednesday and see his own son, Austin Rivers, right there in black and white.
Doc is pretty excited to see his son and have his team face off against him, he told CSNNE.com .
“I just thought they were way too nice in the scouting report today,” quipped Doc Rivers who added, “It’s a strange thing. As a father, it’s nice to see him. The only drawback of him being in the NBA is I haven’t been to a game. And I miss that a little bit, to be honest. But other than that, it’s really cool.”
The scouting report should say “attack Rivers when he is on the court, he is the weakest link in their rotation. Ball pressure can undo him.”
Rivers is having a historically bad rookie season. He is averaging 6.2 points a game on 32.8 percent shooting. He has turned the ball over too much and struggled on the defensive end. He has a PER of 5.4. All of that should have him learning his craft in the D-League but the Hornets are giving the No. 10 overall pick a chance to learn at the NBA level but he is struggling.
Not that it matters to supportive family members. Rivers said their rooting interests are torn.
“When Austin’s not playing, they’re Celtics fans,” said Doc Rivers. “When Austin is playing, they’re Hornets fans or Austin fans for sure.”
Boston has won six in a row and is starting to find their defensive groove. There are a lot of steps to take and a lot of season to go, but for a stretch they have started to look like the team many expected to be — a team that could push the Heat in the East.
And you will see very little Austin Rivers, who has gotten less than 10 minutes a game the last couple contests as he slides out of the rotation. With Gordon back, he is soaking up Rivers minutes and producing.
But that’s not what Doc will see. He will see his son.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 26
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games