Jan 16, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
Hawks coach Larry Drew said he was going to shake things up with his slumping team, but nobody saw this coming.
“I’m disappointed that it came to that,” Drew said, via the Hawks official twitter account. “After tonight’s game, we will embrace Josh again. My focus right now is on the team and the organization.”
No details were given, but according to a tweet from Chris Viviamore with the Atlanta Journal Constitution Smith had been kicked out of Hawks practice on Tuesday.
Smith texted a statement to Jeff Zillgitt of the USA Today who tweeted it out:
“Clearly I am competitive and was frustrated by our recent losses. I understand and respect the team’s actions and just want to get back on the court to do whatever is necessary to help my teammates. I apologize for letting them down and apologize to our fans” for missing Nets game.”
Sure, that’s exactly what Smith said. His agent or PR person didn’t write that. Why would you think so?
Zaza Pachulia will get the start in Smith’s place.
The Hawks are 3-7 in their last 10 with their defense having been dreadful and them on Monday night they scored just 58 points in an ugly loss to the Bulls. Smith has been part of the problem at both ends, but this has been a real team effort of embarrassment.
Drew was promising to change things, and if nothing else this sends a message.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 4
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 9
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 30
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 8