Jan 15, 2013, 4:15 PM EST
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like your grandma loves QVC…
• If you don’t have a tween daughter, you probably don’t know much about Disney Channel’s “Jessie.” I could try to fill you in, but really you don’t want me to, all you need to know is that Chris Bosh will be the guest star on the episode that airs Friday night (8:30 ET). The episode revolves around Bosh playing against one of the character’s teams (sure, that seems fair) and losing the lucky socks he has not washed since 10th grade. Once washed, Bosh isn’t sure he can dunk ever again. Actually, my guess is rebound but whatever, this is television.
• Pau Gasol has been ruled out of Tuesday’s Lakers game due to the concussion he suffered.
• Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins criticizes modern basketball analytics — the “moneyball” numbers — in a radio interview. Does he know who just bought the team? A numbers guy, who went and hired among others John Hollinger to beef up the analytics the team uses. Not smart.
• By the way, I understand the “analytics can’t tell you everything” argument about basketball. Thing is, if you talk to Daryl Morey or John Hollinger or the rest of the elite numbers guys, they watch more basketball than you or I, have a sharp eye, understand what numbers can and can’t do for them. Why do you think Morey has been going hard after superstar players the last couple years? Het gets you need those to win no matter who your coach is or what analytics you use.
• Milwaukee’s Brandon Jennings and Oklahoma City’s Kevin Durant were your players of the week for last week. Jennings averaged 24.5 points and 6.5 assists per game for the week. Durant scored better than 25 points in each of the Thunder’s four games last week.
• A Dirk Nowitizki Q&A where he says he is not leaving Dallas. As if we expected otherwise.
• The Nets new “borough” jerseys are not the best of the Nets new gear. (In general Nets apparel is reportedly selling very, very well by the way.)
• Andray Blatche talks a little about the investigation of a sexual assault that allegedly occurred in his room in Philadelphia (he did not perpetrate the crime but the level of his involvement is not known, the investigation is ongoing).
• Magic Johnson and Isiah Thomas have worked out their beef and are friends again. I knew you’d be happy for them.
• Former Raptors coach Kevin O’Neill has been fired as the coach at USC.
• Finally, some Nets players learn some Russian:
Mar 1, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
As in six weeks left in the season.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:00 PM EST
Jordan shot 12 free throws against the Bulls.
Mar 1, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
The deadline for McGee to be waived in order to be eligible to join another team for the playoffs is midnight Sunday.
Mar 1, 2015, 3:31 PM EST
Another hit to Chicago’s roster.
Mar 1, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
Silver talked about the league one day sharing injury data at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
Mar 1, 2015, 11:30 AM EST
A look at upcoming retro releases of the Jordan VIII, Jordan 1, Jordan XIV Low, and the Jordan VII.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
Odd timing, only because fans in Phoenix have historically shown up for games against San Antonio and Los Angeles.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:33 AM EST
Beasley throws one down in his second game back with the Heat.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:22 AM EST
He will be missed.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:00 PM EST
Warriors general manager supports idea
Feb 28, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
Howard has missed the last 14 games.
Feb 28, 2015, 8:04 PM EST
He will sit out Sunday vs. Boston.
Feb 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EST
Tom Thibodeau says Rose’s rehab plan is already mapped out.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:47 PM EST
Westbrook suffered the injury last night against the Blazers.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Rockets general manager says he recommended trading ‘everything’ for Harden in 2012
Feb 28, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
What else would he say?
Feb 28, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
He was beloved by former teammates.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:30 AM EST
He was evaluated by doctors after the game Friday.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:33 AM EST
He had been in the hospital for weeks following multiple heart attacks.
- Report: Sixers engaged in buyout talks with JaVale McGee 9
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 4
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16