Others confirm report: Knicks taping Carmelo Anthony on court

Jan 15, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT

Referee Brothers moves to break up New York Knicks' Anthony and Boston Celtics' Garnett as they argue during their NBA basketball game in New York Reuters

I still don’t get it, but it really seems to be happening and it may continue.

Using a guy who looks like the bassist for the heavy metal cover band that plays at your local bar, the Knicks are indeed recording what is said to and by Carmelo Anthony on the court, reports both the New York Post and ESPNNewYork.com (both of which follow up on a Star Ledger report from Monday).

From the ESPN report:

Owner James Dolan ordered Madison Square Garden technicians to place two microphones on opposite ends of the court, a move league sources told ESPN The Magazine’s Chris Broussard was put in place in order to protect Anthony.

It is not clear whether the recordings will continue, but sources tell Broussard that any move to paint them as Dolan “spying” on Anthony is “flat-out wrong.”

What word would you prefer? Eavesdropping? Snooping? Undercover investigation? (Okay, that’s two words.)

Apparently the word the Knicks like is “protecting.” The question really is what does Anthony need protecting from — the harsh comments of opposing players? I’ll grant you what Kevin Garnett reportedly said to ‘Melo — which led to ‘Melo trying to continue the “conversation” by the team bus and that led to a suspension — may have crossed the line of common decency, but he said it to get under Anthony’s skin and throw him off his game. It worked. Mission accomplished. Sending a tape to the league office will change nothing.

Fortunately for the Knicks, they have just one game this week and it is in London.

What remains clear in all of this is that Anthony is Dolan’s guy — remember then GM Donnie Walsh was playing hardball and not willing to ship half the team to Denver to get Anthony, but Dolan overruled him to get his guy. This is the New York born star (Red Hook area of Brooklyn) come home to save the Knicks. This is Dolan’s story, his guy, his deal, and if you mess with Anthony Dolan will want to protect him.

Except, Anthony needs to protect himself.

1. fanofevilempire - Jan 15, 2013 at 2:52 PM

swtf is the big deal…………….

it’s not like the republicans bugged the white house.

get over this stupid story already, I guess everyone is waiting for the
    league to fine Dolan, sports really sucks because of the stupid reporting!

2. thenmoveback - Jan 15, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Immature ppl need to be supervised by their bosses

3. timb12 - Jan 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I had to look at that picture for a while. That guy looks like your average Knicks fan…..with a big cone thing.

4. eddit13 - Jan 15, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Bottom line is this, if you get personal with someone you run the risk of getting your teeth knocked in. If KG took it that far, Melo should have taken care of business right there. Sure you get suspended but if you want to take down a bully, huffing and puffing isn’t going to do it and it certainly won’t win you the game.

And while Dolan is taking the extra step to monitor the situation, I don’t think the league will care. I could be wrong but like always, it’s the guy that retaliates that gets caught. Might as well make it worth your while.

• michaeljordanseviltwin - Jan 15, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Oddly, I agree completely. This whole story has made Carmelo look bad rather than like a tough guy. Kevin Garnett would never fight somebody. He’s definitely a fake tough guy… but he’s damn good at being fake tough. If Carmelo had just knocked him out everybody would see the men for who they are and Carmelo would get a 10 game suspension. Not the end of the world.

Bonus points for Carmelo if after punching Garnett he refused to apologize and instead just said, “That’s what you get for talking about my wife. I’d do the same to anybody else.”

• chilomane - Jan 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Carmelo is a hoe

• LPad - Jan 15, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I don’t know 10 games without Melo, while Felton is out that pretty much 2/3 of the Knick offense. They could of went 2-8 during that stretch and lose any shot at home court through the East playoffs. If it was back in the day of reasonable suspensions for fighting then yeah he should beat the crap out of KG. Then again KG wouldn’t be acting like this either because he knows a guy won’t be risking the team’s season by confronting him.

• nycalldayz - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:54 PM

@ eddit13 , michaeljordanseviltwin

Which leads me to believe the rumor might of been fabricated. Carmelo acted like a fool on and off the court. So it would not of made a difference had he tried to physically attack KG while the game was in live action. I think anyone that has an issue with trash-talking is clearly not a true sports fan. Or it’s possible some people are thin-skinned. Trash-talking is common in sports. The problem with today’s athletes like Melo, believes he’s the exception, and that no one can talk trash to him.

KG is known for talking trash, but I bet he’s the only in the NBA. He’s been talking for 17-18yrs. Talking to his opponents, himself and his teammates. And if some players are still falling for his trap, then they need to try another sport, maybe tennis.

• nycalldayz - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM

@ eddit13 , michaeljordanseviltwin

KG is known for talking trash, but I bet he’s NOT the only in the NBA. He’s been talking for 17-18yrs. Talking to his opponents, himself and his teammates. And if some players are still falling for his trap, then they need to try another sport, maybe tennis.

• LPad - Jan 15, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I agree with everything you just said, except that you got think of Melo’s history. In fact, I think that had a lot to do with why Melo didn’t punch his teeth in. Last time he punched someone he got a 15 game suspension. So basically Melo was trying to balance ruining his team season, losing almost 20 pct of his pay for the season with the fact KG needs to get his butt kicked.

However, I do think if KG or any other player start saying stuff that is over top the league will be forced to react if it is on tape, especially if the tape is leaked. Stern will have to react much like he did on Kobe’s anti-gay remark. Heck, Melo doesn’t even get suspended if there’s no tape of him waiting by the bus. Randolph didn’t get suspended for confronting Perkins because there was no tape.

5. dirtyjerseysports - Jan 15, 2013 at 3:26 PM

The Knicks reclaiming their Original NY Circus title….. sorry Jets

• sabatimus - Jan 15, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Not possible.

• nygrwy - Jan 15, 2013 at 7:50 PM

yea no one can take that form the jets

6. moe0594 - Jan 15, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Honey Nut Cheerios…

7. beavertonsteve - Jan 15, 2013 at 4:08 PM

But wouldn’t it be awesome to play back some of KG’s habitual line stepping trash talk after one of his rediculous denials?

“I said Charlie is a cancer to his team!”

Ahem.. let’s go to the tape…

• nycalldayz - Jan 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Someone calls me a “cancer patient” I’m handling my business right on the court. I wouldn’t take to Twitter and accuse someone of making such comments. Not buying it, Charlie. As far as KG being a so-called “tough guy” please he’s too thin to be tough. Garnett is a trash talker and that’s it. Too many of u assume he’s a “fake tough guy”. How does he act tough, because I certainly don’t see it?

If talking-trash or screaming at your opponents and throwing them off their game is considered “fake tough”, then some of u have a lot learn. The same people that cry and complain about KG would love to have the guy on your team. Ahem.. Knicks fans…That’s what kills me about some of u that pretend to dislike KG.

8. nygrwy - Jan 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM

As a knicks fan this makes me so mad. Have some pride for christ sake. I am going to get proof and tell on you for being mean to my player. You know I really start to think David Stern is right and that they had to tone down the aggressiveness in the league cause all of these players are so sensitive. They could never handle the hits without getting up and wanting to fight

9. libertynchurch - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Wouldnt be surprised if the recordings are related to marketing. Add some drum machines and a bass synth line. Voila, Bully Ball BattlinTrash Talk!

10. hojo20 - Jan 15, 2013 at 6:43 PM

What’s with Melo’s WB tattoo?

• Mr. Wright 212 - Jan 15, 2013 at 8:13 PM

West Baltimore.

• infectorman - Jan 15, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Mr Wright Says:
        “And if you’re a Falcons fan, you DEFINITELY shouldn’t be talking until (if they ever do) the Falcons win something that matters. They won’t Sunday…”
        ______

Hope you don’t wager on Pro sports Mr NYC…
        You should stick to rooting for your injury faking Giants…next year, that is…

11. 2stepsaway - Jan 15, 2013 at 7:03 PM

So…. if anyone says anything to Anthony that makes him mad & he becomes enraged, they will roll back the audio to see if he should be held accountable for his actions? Who gets to judge? And how can I get in on this “protection”? There are times when I hear things that I am DAMN SURE someone should get slapped for…

12. shanelsweet - Jan 15, 2013 at 7:33 PM

It’s a job, folks. When it’s a job, there’s got to be laws to protect the workers. We can’t have players mistreating other players. I suspect the NBA is going to address what type of “trash-talking” during games will get you in trouble. Making sexual references about the family of another player is bound to be on the list.

13. Jeff - Jan 15, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Honey Nut Cheerios

14. j0esixpack - Jan 15, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I’m calling it here:

This has got to be some type of reality tv series.

‘Melo goes on a 15 day fast… Imagines KG talkin’ ’bout Honey Nut Cheerios and something else Carmello craves, is so hungry for a fight he stalks KG, wanting a taste of that Honey Nut Cheerios too…

It reads like fiction, but it’s damn entertaining reality

Can’t wait for Season 2!

• badintent - Jan 15, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Special appearance by Kim and her sisters for some group stuff.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches